    floppy, etc.

    Any suggestions on getting XP off the drive and 98 on will be greatly
    appreciated.

    Rick Todd, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Rick Todd

    Mark Guest

    Make a bootable CD with the utils you need...this site should help you.
    www.bootdisk.com

    Mark, Jul 29, 2004

  3. If you have an XP or 2000 CD handy, you can boot off it and go into Recovery
    Console, which is basically just a command prompt. You can then use
    diskpart (similar to FDISK) to partition the drive, and then format it as a
    FAT32 drive.

    Patrick Michael, Jul 29, 2004
  4. Rick Todd

    SHADE Guest

    SHADE, Jul 29, 2004
  5. Rick Todd

    billybronco Guest

    If you dont know how to accomplish something as trivial as this, you
    shouldnt really be tinkering around with other peoples computers, especially
    brand new ones, and ESPECIALLY not for money!.

    billybronco, Jul 29, 2004
  6. Right...the mistake was made when the customer bought a proprietary PC
    while not wanting its OS...although maybe he/she just didn't know it
    at the time

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 29, 2004
  7. Rick Todd

    Ronnie Guest

    Stick a full version of Windows98 back into the cdrom tray, force the
    machine to boot to the cdrom drive through cmos, and when you get the boot
    menu--which you will, just select "Boot from cdrom", then select "start
    computer with cdrom", get to the A:\ and type FDISK and just delete the
    partition.

    Ronnie, Jul 30, 2004
  8. Rick Todd

    A Guest

    And I've got a client who runs W3.1, won't update and has lost her disks so
    I suppose I should have a look for a set on Ebay! Alan A+

    A, Jul 30, 2004
  9. Rick Todd

    Geoff Guest

    just boot off the win98 cd and run fdisk from that

    Geoff, Jul 30, 2004
  10. Rick Todd

    M. East Guest

    To boot off the cd, you'll have to go into setup and change the boot options
    to boot the cd first, then 98 cd has tools in oldmsdos folder to fdisk and
    reformat hard-drive, and then install 98 and drivers....etc.....

    M. East, Jul 31, 2004
  11. Rick Todd

    JJW± Guest

    Fdisk will not work if the existing drive is NTFS

    JJW±, Aug 1, 2004
  12. If all the person is doing is deleting the NTFS5 partition and creating a
    FAT32 one for Windows 98, then it should. I'm pretty sure fdisk lets you
    delete NTFS5 partitions...you just have to selection that says "delete
    unrecognised partition(s)" or similar. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure
    I've done this before....I usually use recovery console for this type of
    stuff though.

    Patrick Michael, Aug 1, 2004
  13. Rick Todd

    JJW± Guest

    Oops... I was thinking of logical drives on extended partitions
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBB/tip0900/rh0975.htm

    ....but the origianl poster still needs to be cautioned about replacing XP on
    the new laptop - there's no certainty that there will be 98 drivers for all
    the hardware

    JJW±, Aug 1, 2004
  14. You're right. I'd really be surprised if he could find drivers for anything
    that's integrated into the motherboard (sound, video, LAN, etc.)

    Patrick Michael, Aug 2, 2004
  15. Rick Todd

    AG Guest

    That will work.
    Just a suggestion, I haven't tried it but you could try running it on Free
    DOS instead of DOS 6.22 if she doesn't have the DOS disks too. You can
    download an ISO for Free DOS.
    AG

    AG, Aug 2, 2004
  16. Rick Todd

    FredG Guest

    That's a shame - I threw out a set of 3.1 a couple of weeks ago.

    FredG, Aug 3, 2004
  17. Rick Todd

    FredG Guest

    Just goes to show how, in this day and age, the humble floppy drive is
    still so useful.

    FredG, Aug 3, 2004
  18. Rick Todd

    sAxmAn Guest

    You could try using an external floppy drive. Many major HDD makers have
    downloadable software with which you can make a bootable floppy which
    formats and partitions in the file system of your choice.

    sAxmAn, Aug 9, 2004
  19. Rick Todd

    techshare Guest

    This is what I "love" about this [email protected]#@ NG sometimes. We've got a huge thread
    going on something with a simple one-line answer. "Don't do it".

    techshare, Aug 10, 2004
  20. Not that that hasn't been suggested.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Aug 10, 2004