    on my laptop, and the lights are flashing on the ethernet port in the Laptop.
    Both systems "see" the workgroup (MSHOME) but neither machine sees the other.

    Any ideas please?

    RoyDinsdaleUK, Dec 29, 2003

  2. RoyDinsdaleUK

    Niall Guest

    Check that the IP addresses, netmasks and workgroup names on both PCs
    are still right. They have a slight tendancy to change for no apparent
    reason.

    Niall, Dec 29, 2003

  3. I know how to check the workgroup is the same - how do I check the IP addresses
    and masks are?

    RoyDinsdaleUK, Dec 30, 2003
  4. RoyDinsdaleUK

    Jay Guest

    Go to run on the start menu - type "cmd" - a dos prompt appears - typ
    "ipconfig".

    jay

    Jay, Dec 30, 2003
  5. The IP on the XP machine is 192.168.0.1 , Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 under
    Ethernet Adapter Network Bridge.

    The IP on the other is blank for 0 Ethernet Adapter and 1 Ethernet Adapter, For
    3 Ethernet Adapter it is 169.254.198.88 subnet 255.255.0.0. For 4 Ethernet
    adapter it is 192.168.0.188 sub 255.255.0.0 default Gateway 192.168.0.1

    What is wrong?

    RoyDinsdaleUK, Dec 30, 2003
  6. RoyDinsdaleUK

    Jay Guest

    Your machines are using different subnet masks so they can't see each
    other. This is used to let different logical networks share the same
    physical wires in a corporate setting.

    You need to change the settings for tcp/ip for the adapter you wish to
    use for your network (presumably adapter 4?) so that the subnet mask
    is 255.255.255.0

    jay

    Jay, Dec 30, 2003
  7. RoyDinsdaleUK

    Niall Guest

    For a start, do you really have 4 physical ethernet ports in this
    machine? If not, I suggest for a start removing them all in Device
    Manager and restarting, at which point you should be prompted to
    reinstall the device which actually exists.

    Then go to TCP/IP properties for this network adapter and set IP
    192.168.0.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

    The Gateway shouldn't matter unless you are using internet connection
    sharing.

    This should work, but the XP machine shouldn't say Network Bridge;
    again removing all network devices in Device Manager and rebooting
    should fix this. Set it up the same way but with IP 192.168.0.1

    Niall, Dec 30, 2003
  8. Can anyone tell me how to change the subnet address in Win98 please?

    RoyDinsdaleUK, Jan 2, 2004