XP takes extraordiarily long to show contents of Network Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by LowlyEngineer, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. XP has been working perfectly for me for several years.

    Recently, it developed two problems.

    1. It takes extremely long to shut down. When I do a shutdown
    request, the icons are wiped from the screen, and the screen goes
    solid blue (my normal background color).
    After about 10 minutes, I get the message "closing network
    connections". After another 5 minutes, I get "saving your settings".
    5 minutes later, it finally shuts down.

    I have shut down all unnessary services, and removed everything from
    startups. What next? Is there some log file that would show me what
    is taking all the time?

    2. I use dymamic IP and have the DHCP IP set to the IP of the
    router.
    All worked well until yesterday. Now, when I click on Network
    Neighborhood I get a quick hourglass. then a regular cursor. It takes
    about 2 minutes for the normal Network Neighborhood contents to
    appear. I reset the router. That still didn't work.
    Mapped drives show their contents instantly as before.

    As far as I know, no new programs have been loaded recently.
    Spyware and virus scans come up clean.

    What should I try next?

    TIA

    LowlyEngineer, Apr 19, 2005

  2. LowlyEngineer

    Stickems. Guest

    Systems restore.

    Stickems., Apr 19, 2005

  3. Already tried System Restore.

    It should be noted that other computers on the network do NOT have
    the same issues.

    The long shutdown problem started several weeks ago. The impossibly
    long browsing time started happening yesterday.

    LowlyEngineer, Apr 19, 2005
  4. LowlyEngineer

    old john Guest

    try going into Admin tools, event viewer, see if there are any clues there
    to help you..J

    old john, Apr 19, 2005
  5. No failures, not even any warnings.

    Is there a log file generator that will create something
    similar to the 'boot.log' file that will show me when
    applications and services are requested to stop,
    and when they actually DO stop?

    TIA

    LowlyEngineer, Apr 20, 2005
  6. LowlyEngineer

    Pennywise Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:23:12 -0700, LowlyEngineer

    |>No failures, not even any warnings.
    |>
    |>Is there a log file generator that will create something
    |>similar to the 'boot.log' file that will show me when
    |>applications and services are requested to stop,
    |>and when they actually DO stop?

    Ya, the event viewer :) you need to audit events first
    http://www.techexams.net/technotes/xp/auditing.shtml

    Pennywise, Apr 20, 2005
  7. Thanks! I think this is just what I need

    ..

    LowlyEngineer, Apr 20, 2005