XP startup problem (missed desktop) after Ghost image restore

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm experiencing a xp 64 bit startup problem after a restore made using a
    previously made symantec Ghost 8.2 dump image.

    The operating system load fine but the desktop is missed, no icons / task
    bar, only a light blue shaded screen with the xp logo in the middle.

    My main HDD is splitted in two partitions:

    - Primary NTFS 48Gb for XP Professional (32bit)
    - Secondary NTFS 26Gb for XP 64bit

    To perform the backup, I load Ghost using a Floppy Disk then I do a HDD to
    IMAGE backup storing it on a secondary drive. In this manner, bot XP pro and
    XP 64 bit are saved.

    After restoring, XP 32 bit run without problem but XP 64 show the issue
    described above.

    I had made several restore attempt, but same problem.

    I've then reinstalled, configured and updated again XP 64 bit. Tested it
    several days and saved it to a Ghost image. After restoring the same
    problem occour...

    It seem that Ghost leave out something in the 64 bit op.sys partition,
    what's wrong in your opinion ?

    My system is configured as follow:

    Main board: Intel D945Pvs
    Cpu: Pentium D 3Ghz
    4 x 1Gb DDR2 memory
    Vga: ATI FireGL v5100

    HDD1: WD Raptor 74Gb sata1
    HDD2: WD 200Gb sata2
    HDD3: Maxtor 300Gb sata1

    All the peripherial work absolutely fine in both 32 and 64 bit environment.
    All the attempt was made using the latest drivers + update available.

    Single user / no password / no lan for both op.sys

    Thanks for any advice!

    Mario

    Guest, Jan 16, 2006

  2. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Have you tried to back up each partition separately? I have Ghost 9 so am
    unfamiliar with 8, but I have Ghost installed on my 32 bit system and have
    imaged the x64 partition from there. I have restored it from the image
    using the install CD and from the 32 bit system with no problems.

    John Barnes, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for your reply,

    I had also saved each partition into separate ghost image but I got the same
    problem.

    Never tested Ghost 9 because I prefer the old DOS way, but since something
    is wrong I will reconsiderate this.

    Guest, Jan 16, 2006
  4. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Be aware that you can only RESTORE from the Ghost 9 CD. You must have it
    installed on a 32-bit system to make an image. I don't know about the new
    Ghost 10, which may install and work on x64, but I understand the bootable
    CD still only allows restores.

    John Barnes, Jan 16, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for your answer, good thing to know.

    Guest, Jan 22, 2006