    jjw Guest

    mainstream? hmmm, you use that term rather loosely as well....

    jjw

    jjw, Sep 24, 2004

  2. i question this "installed base" statistic. just because the x86/win32
    architecture accounts for ~90% of sales does not mean they account for
    90% of the installed and running market.

    other platforms (notably unix and macintosh based systems) tend to
    have a much longer usable life and tend to obsolesce at a slower pace,
    which explains why a quadra from several years ago may be able to run
    current software (and still be in active use) and a peecee tends to
    need replacement every 3 to five years.

    from a business standpoint, planned obsolescence is a brilliant scheme
    that ensures consistent sales. apple never considered doing this, as
    they tend to be a bit more honest in their dealings, and while a good
    company with a vastly superior product, this and the initial cost
    factor are the major reasons why apple's market share is substantially
    less than that of x86/win32 machines.

    as for the "realistically unavoidable" part, it is realistically
    avoidable; A+ simply defines their secondary half as "operating
    systems", which, perhaps intentionally, blatantly avoids alternatives.
    had they simply defined it as "win32" operating systems, perhaps i
    wouldnt have so much of a gripe.

    on the other hand, A+ is basic computer technician repair stuff, it
    isn't computer science, so i cannot *realistically expect* a
    "certified technician" to actually know anything about the nuts and
    bolts.

    the thing that pisses me off about technicians tho, is that they try
    to pass themselves off as some sort of skilled, educated types, who
    know everything there is to know about computer science when they
    don't even know what a JK flip-flop is, or for that matter, *anything*
    about digital electronics!

    we should all get a sense of reality like our good friend AG did.

    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 24, 2004

  3. you use the terms "operating system", "computer", and "microprocessor"
    very loosely as well

    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 24, 2004
  4. shame you can't simply circumvent the WPA scheme; then again, perhaps
    you can:

    http://www.tecchannel.com/client/desktop/31/

    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 24, 2004
  5. Gary

    jjw Guest

    "Solomon Kozanski" > you use the terms "operating system", "computer", and
    "microprocessor"
    I don't use any of those terms. I use "Windows", "PC", and "CPU."

    jjw

    jjw, Sep 25, 2004
  6. Gary

    G W Guest

    works ok, just recheck the firewall after the upgrade

    G W, Oct 30, 2004