XP SP2 starts only after many no-start cycles (IBM T20 laptop)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Larry Mehl, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. Larry Mehl

    Larry Mehl Guest

    Hello --

    After an unsuccessful cold boot, I see many cycles of the following screens
    before XP starts. It sometimes takes an hour for XP to start.

    [a]
    - Blue screen containing 0x00... messages are different for each cycle
    - IBM logo
    - list of starting options (incl "...Last Good Configuration...") on black
    screen
    - Windows logo
    - repeat at [a]

    Before installing SP2 the blue screen would remain on the display. It now
    displays for only a few seconds.

    Does this "cycle" problem sound familiar to anyone? Can you help me resolve
    it?

    In the meantime I leave the machine running all the time.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Larry Mehl

    Larry Mehl, Jul 5, 2006

  2. Larry Mehl

    D.Mobster Guest

    Might be bad ram or the system board is going goofy. If you've
    reinstalled windows and you're still running in to this issue, you've
    eliminated the software leaving only hardware.

    Hope it helps,
    David

    http://inet.phpnet.us

    D.Mobster, Jul 5, 2006

  3. Larry Mehl

    Larry Mehl Guest

    David --

    Thanks for responding.

    I installed XP 2 weeks ago.

    Do you know of any software which can test the RAM or hardware?

    Larry'

    Larry Mehl, Jul 6, 2006
  4. Larry Mehl

    D.Mobster Guest

    If you have a CD burner you can download a copy of memtest 86+ from
    http://www.memtest.org/. After you burn the CD just boot from the Disk.

    -David

    http://inet.phpnet.us

    D.Mobster, Jul 6, 2006