    surf the internet but will not talk to each other - cannot share the
    drives as they do not show each other in the network group.

    Help appreciated. Is this a SP2 issue?

    KKK, Sep 22, 2004

  2. KKK

    no Guest

    This could be related to the security "features " of SP2 - the firewall
    perhaps, try disabling it see if it helps?

    no, Sep 22, 2004

  3. KKK

    THe NuTTeR Guest

    SP2 does some interesting things. If you ran it before, try running the
    network wizard... you may find you have to run it again anyway, to let
    the trafic through the windows firewall. If you find disabling the
    firewall helps, then look for a way to reduce what it does on the LAN
    connection.

    THe NuTTeR, Sep 22, 2004
  4. KKK

    KKK Guest

    The firewall is disabled - what do you mean by the LAN point please?

    KKK, Sep 23, 2004
  5. KKK

    KKK Guest

    Also tried running the Network wizzard and get a message "an error
    occured on running the configuration wizzard try configuring manually"

    How do i run it manually pls?

    KKK, Sep 23, 2004
  6. KKK

    Madhur Ahuja Guest

    See if the NetBios is enabled. What happens if you do \\computername
    or \\ipname.

    Madhur Ahuja, Sep 23, 2004
  7. KKK

    Nig Guest

    Undoubtably. From your other posting it sounds like you have already
    turned the XP firewall off, but when I installed SP2 all I did to get
    FPS working again was to tick the F&P sharing box in the exceptions on
    the firewall so it does work.

    If you re-enable the firewall on one of the PCs, set the exception, then
    enable logging both for dropped and succesful connections. Go into a
    command prompt on the other PC and try:

    net view <ret>

    then:

    net view \\otherpchostname <ret>

    Check the log on the other PC and that will hopefully tell if anything
    is being blocked. If it's being allowed and you got nothing of interest
    from the net view commands, it might be just a case of checking the
    settings of your sharing, in case they have been affected, tho' I
    haven't noticed this with my update to SP2.

    Nig, Sep 23, 2004
  8. KKK

    Jim McColl Guest

    I have the same problem. I can connect to the Internet from both computers,
    but they do niot see each other. Worked fine before SP2

    Jim McColl, Sep 23, 2004
  9. KKK

    Andy Lord Guest

    I had the same problem. I *think* I fixed it by just changing the workgroup
    name on all PCs on the network and rebooting them all. I was messing about
    with lots of other things at the time though so I can't be sure if this is
    what sorted it.

    Andy Lord, Sep 23, 2004
  10. KKK

    THe NuTTeR Guest

    The firewall is disabled - what do you mean by the LAN point please?
    Set up sharing and IP addressing and workgroups and stuff all on your
    own, not with the help of the wizard.

    THe NuTTeR, Sep 23, 2004