    If this is the case, is there a registry change I can make so SP2 is happy
    with a IPv4 address?

    Help?

    Guest, Apr 7, 2006

  2. Guest

    Lem Guest

    Unless you specifically need it, you should remove the IPv6 Protocol from your
    NICs.

    What makes you think you have already acquired an IP address while the
    "acquiring" message is still displayed? In my experience, the lengthy "Acquiring
    network address" balloon appears when a NIC is configured to acquire an IP
    address via DHCP but there is no DHCP server. After the time-out period for DHCP
    (which is quite long), Windows either switches to the alternate IP (if you set
    one) or AIPA (automatic IP addressing) IP.

    Lem, Apr 7, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I know I have an address by doing the following checks:
    Quantifiable - ipconfig /all shows legitimate IPv4 network address 10.x.x.x
    Anecdotal - Actually negotiating the network

    Guest, Apr 10, 2006
  4. Guest

    amaitra

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Try setting NetBIOS over TCP/IP - perhaps the DHCP server you use does not provide this information. This is in the advance option of TCP/IP.

    It used to work for me before, then I had this same problem. Did the above and the problem seems to have gone. Perhaps the right thing or maybe just stirred the soup a bit and now it is ok ;-)

    One thing to note though - my connection even before this was good. i.e. the ip address was available and functional. But the irritation of the message persisted..

    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    amaitra, Jun 16, 2010