    standard Windows function so you would be able to recover (some) data
    after the procedure.

    What's the matter with OTF encryption? It is transparent to the user.

    Mr Nobody, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Mike

    nemo outis Guest

    I've had no experience with the Dell, but there are some weak and
    primitive systems that will ust mess with the MBR. Needless to
    say, that will only stop your kid sister.

    Regards,

    nemo outis, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Mike

    Bill Unruh Guest

    ]Mike wrote:
    ]> XP Home, file system NTFS.
    ]>
    ]> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I
    ]> have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
    ]> these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
    ]> repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
    ]> its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
    ]> entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
    ]> drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
    ]> or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
    ]> occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
    ]> hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

    ]Anyone heard of this. Is it more secure than the BIOS and login passwords
    ](which aren't secure) - search for security continues. Found the following
    ]instructions in another ng:

    ]'Start Menu, Run, Type:
    ]syskey
    ]press enter.

    ]A dialog box will appear
    ]"Securing the Windows Account Database"
    ]Click [Update]
    ]Select
    ](o) Password Startup
    ]Type and confirm the password. Click [OK].

    ]Warning:
    ]If You forget the password, You MUST reinstall Windows (that means CLEAN)'.

    No. It is not more secure in protecting your hard disk contents from a
    repair shop being able to read them.

    Bill Unruh, Jul 4, 2004
  4. Mike

    D.Currie Guest

    Encryption's fine for some things, but if the technician has access to that
    account to do repairs, the files are perfectly accessible.

    If something is that sensitive, best bet is to keep it on a removable drive
    that you don't give to the technician during repairs.

    D.Currie, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Mike

    GoGeta Guest

    anything on a xp machine can be hacked if you know what your doing....like
    he says...don't give them the hd..save it to cd or something else

    GoGeta, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Mike

    Mr Nobody Guest

    If files are encrypted the technician can't see their contents unless
    he has the password.

    Mr Nobody, Jul 5, 2004
  7. Unfortunately, this isn't always the case (although perhaps the word
    "unfortunate" isn't appropriate for Gary Glitter, who was caught during
    apparently routine snooping of personal data by PC World staff)

    Personally, I don't look.

    I don't necessarily believe the same of others; particularly if the HDD is
    being sent to a company, rather than an individual techie that I can
    evaluate.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Jul 5, 2004
  8. Mike

    Rick Merrill Guest

    PLONK!

    Rick Merrill, Jul 5, 2004
  9. Who did you plonk?

    Bushra Passmore, Jul 5, 2004
  10. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    It's not just XP, it's anything you give to a tech, on any OS, can be
    hacked.

    Leythos, Jul 5, 2004
  11. Mike

    Kleeb Guest

    H1k, what is 'routine snooping of personal data' ?

    I've just come back from PC World, please restore my faith in this most
    widely-advertised of PC 'meccas'. :)

    (Paul Gadd can rot in hell BTW ; 'C:\Documents And Settings\Gaz\Desktop\My
    CP')

    Regards,

    Kleeb.

    "If you think technology can solve your security
    problems, then you don't understand the problems
    and you don't understand the technology."

    Kleeb, Jul 5, 2004
  12. Mike

    Mimic Guest

    It aint routine snooping, they dont go through all your stuff, at most
    they see if theres any porn in your temp directories to relieve the
    boredom of an otherwise wank job. :p

    --
    Mimic

    "When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt."
    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )

    Mimic, Jul 5, 2004