    1 PRINT "Windows XP ERROR"
    GOTO 1
    END

    Mhzjunkie, Jul 2, 2004

  2. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    The trolls must be friends of Tracker - at least from their posting
    origin points it looks like tracker may have made friends outside of her
    area :)

    Leythos, Jul 2, 2004

  3. Mike

    Tang Kemmer Guest

    Mhzjunkie wrote:
    <snip>

    | Alittle, does it show ?

    Only when you cross your legs.
    I'm off to crack the boy round the head, it's his berfday, then I'll crack
    open a cold one.

    Cheers.

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Tang Kemmer, Jul 2, 2004
  4. Mike

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    Leythos spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

    --
    Mhzjunkie

    Programmer: alt.os.windows-xp
    1 PRINT "Windows XP ERROR"
    GOTO 1
    END

    Mhzjunkie, Jul 2, 2004
  5. Mike

    Mhzjunkie Guest

    Tang Kemmer spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :
    Later.

    Mhzjunkie, Jul 2, 2004
  6. Mike

    relic Guest

    You had me believing you until you said you didn't care what Aunt Sally's
    goiter was up to these days. Shit man, I don't know /anybody/ that doesn't
    care about that.

    relic, Jul 2, 2004
  7. Mike

    Lang Sugero Guest

    relic wrote:
    ||| Thanks for quick response but I was genuine. It is not porn that
    ||| concerns me so much as notes from my wife and photographs of my
    ||| children that are very personal and my own notes and journal and
    ||| emails and financial details.
    ||| --
    ||| Regards
    || I repair computers for a living, and I can tell you that I personally
    || don't care what's on your computer, and I'm not going to spend my
    || working time reading your documents. I want to do the repair and get
    || the computer off the bench as quickly as possible.
    || On the other hand, there aren't a whole lot of computer repairs I'm
    || going to be able to do without access to at least one administrator
    || account. If I install hardware, I'm going to have to install drivers
    || and make sure it works. If it's a software problem, then I'm sure I'm
    || going to have to access an account, and after that, I need to access
    || the problematic program. So, yes, if you say you can't read your
    || email, I need access to your email account, and I'm going to open a
    || couple of emails. But even at that, I try to avoid actually reading
    || the content. I open them to see that they do open, then I move on. I
    || don't care what spam you get, or what Aunt Sally's goiter is up to
    || these days.
    || Even if it's something like a power supply replacement, it's nice to
    || be able to get into Windows and make sure nothing else got fried in
    || the meantime. Otherwise I'm going to get a call that says, "Now my
    || modem doesn't work!" or something like that.
    || If you don't give me access to an account, and I need it, either I'm
    || going to call and ask for the password, or I'm going to get in
    || another way so I can finish the repair. I'd tell you that I got into
    || the computer, though. It's not like I'm sneaking around. Most people
    || leave their computers so unsecured that it's simple to get in without
    || resorting anything fancy.
    || Of course, the curiousness of the repair folks is going to depend on
    || who they are. If you take the computer to a shop where there are a
    || dozen teenage guys who get paid by the hour, they might be interested
    || in what music you have or what photos. I doubt anyone cares to read
    || your tax documents unless they know you and want to see if you really
    || can afford that BMW. Otherwise, it's irrelevant data. "Some guy who
    || brought his computer in made $45 thou last year!" Unless they know
    || you, who cares?
    || If you have things that you don't want other people to see, your best
    || bet is to keep them off of your computer. Put them on CDs or a
    || removable/external drive. Then you don't need to worry about taking
    || the computer for repairs. Then you just need to worry about security
    || issues when the computer is in your house.
    |

    | You had me believing you until you said you didn't care what Aunt
    | Sally's goiter was up to these days. Shit man, I don't know
    | /anybody/ that doesn't care about that.

    oi

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Lang Sugero, Jul 2, 2004
  8. Mike

    DarthGates Guest

    | XP Home, file system NTFS.
    |
    | XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I have 4
    | passworded accounts - is it true that without the password these accounts
    | are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware repair is there no way
    | for the technician to access my hardrive and its data beyond the login
    | screen. No secret admin account or account entrance that is built in or
    | could they run another OS from the cd drive such as DOS or Linux and access
    | the drive information that way or another way I have not considered. I ask
    | this because it just occurs to me how much private and personal information
    | I have on my hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

    If you want the most secure passwords do this .
    http://www.is-it-true.org/nt/nt2000/registry/rtips51.shtml
    Microsoft's LanMan Hash is insecure and relatively easy to break.
    To prevent Active Directory from storing or using the lanman hash

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
    "nolmhash"=dword:00000001

    DarthGates, Jul 2, 2004
  9. Mike

    Mr Nobody Guest

    You could use on-the-fly encryption like BestCrypt to store all your
    data.

    Mr Nobody, Jul 2, 2004
  10. Gotcha! .... and thanks

    Eldridge

    Eldridge Currie, Jul 2, 2004
  11. If you have physical access to a machine, it can be cracked regardless of
    its OS. Period. There is NO safety.

    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 2, 2004
  12. Having fun, bozo?

    Eldridge Currie, Jul 2, 2004
  13. Um... ok, thanks

    Eldridge Currie, Jul 2, 2004
  14. Yeah. You seem to know your stuff, Leythos. The asshole troll must have
    some software that changes his e-mail addy often or everytime. Is there a
    way to filter the child using Outlook Express other than Message - Block
    Sender? Btw who is "Tracker" ?

    Eldridge

    Eldridge Currie, Jul 2, 2004
  15. Mike

    Leythos Guest

    The only way that you can really block immature types is to block posts
    from the sending server, but then you get posts from others at the same
    server. In their case, I created a rule for this group that filtered
    them out based on the posting host.

    You can't really do that with OE, but with Gravity you can easily
    configure rules - you have to look at all of the header information to
    determine the source host.

    As for the last question, we can only say that name twice in any 24 hour
    period or it summons the evil spirit - do a google search for that name
    and see what you find :)

    Leythos, Jul 3, 2004
  16. Mike

    Bill Unruh Guest

    ]| XP Home, file system NTFS.
    ]|
    ]| XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I have 4
    ]| passworded accounts - is it true that without the password these accounts
    ]| are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware repair is there no way
    ]| for the technician to access my hardrive and its data beyond the login
    ]| screen. No secret admin account or account entrance that is built in or
    ]| could they run another OS from the cd drive such as DOS or Linux and access
    ]| the drive information that way or another way I have not considered. I ask
    ]| this because it just occurs to me how much private and personal information
    ]| I have on my hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

    All of the information on that hard drive will be readable by the repair
    people. the passwords are irrelevant (they can be evaded and anyway, they
    can put the drive into another system and read everything.

    a) never send in your drive-- they are cheap. If it breaks just buy a new
    one.
    b) encrypt everything (and if you forget your password, the data is also
    gone.)

    Bill Unruh, Jul 3, 2004
  17. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

    D.Currie, the disorderly, rampant weasel, Jul 3, 2004
  18. Ok, so you're a faggot.
    Me.

    Leythos, the flaxdresser, Jul 3, 2004
  19. Mike

    Mimic Guest

    They seem to have difficulty with the English language too.

    hehe.

    --
    Mimic

    "When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt."
    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )

    Mimic, Jul 3, 2004
  20. It must be time for you to play lame by numbers.
    Do you always giggle to yourself like that, retard?

    The Nice Man in the White Coat, Jul 3, 2004