XP search going all lame on me..explorer going crazy when trying tosearch.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fotoobscura, Jan 7, 2008.

  1. fotoobscura

    fotoobscura Guest

    Hi. I've been working on a problem for about a week now and to no
    avail. Wondering if anyone can help.

    Here's the problem.

    Click Start, Click Search, Click Files and Folders.

    At this point explorer freezes. Start button is permanently
    "depressed" and I can't do much. The bottom toolbar won't let me
    click anything. I can alt-tab and switch between apps but something
    is seriously not right.

    ctrl-alt-delete shows explorer hovering around 50% cpu and taking all
    process time.

    When I run process explorer and click on explorer and then threads it
    shows SHDOCVW.dll taking up all the cpu (the 50%, that is).

    I've googled around and have seen no problems similar to mine.

    I've disabled all services that are non-standard with windows
    including AV, PGP, etc, etc. I've shut down all programs and it still
    displays this behavior.

    I've run all my regular anti-spyware/av programs (spybot, adaware,
    mcafee). I've run ccleaner and reg cleaners. Checked hijackthis and
    msconfig and see nothing running of suspicion. I've stripped down my
    boot to the bare basics and have disabled all services that don't
    "need" to start up. I don't use system restore.

    I tried a few things like re-registering a few components to no avail.

    search "on the internet" works and pops open an IE window.

    Running SP2, latest microsoft updates, etc.

    Short of reinstalling does anyone have any ideas?

    All help much appreciated!

    fotoobscura, Jan 7, 2008

  2. fotoobscura

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Jan 7, 2008

  3. fotoobscura

    fotoobscura Guest

    Ran it, rebooted, didn't work.

    fotoobscura, Jan 7, 2008
  4. fotoobscura

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Do you have any USB sticks or Memory cards plugged in or any drives mapped?
    Run my diagnostic tool called Whats livern from my site
    http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/tools/tools.htm it will generate a log file,
    send me a copy of that file. There is an email link on the bottom of that
    page.

    pcbutts1, Jan 7, 2008
  5. fotoobscura

    Leythos Guest

    Only a fool would download a hack tool from a porno site and trust
    someone that has a reputation for being foul and dishonest.

    --

    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    Fight exposing kids to porn, complain about sites like PCBUTTS 1.COM
    that create filth and put it on the web for any kid to see: Just take a
    look at some of the FILTH he's created and put on his website:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/archive/index.php/t-223485.html all exposed
    'exposed to kids'.

    Leythos, Jan 7, 2008
  6. fotoobscura

    Pennywise Guest

    Shot in the dark, reregister the dll.

    Start | Run <type in>
    regsvr32 /u shdocvw.dll
    <enter>
    (unregisters the dll)

    (maybe reboot), then

    Start | Run <type in>
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
    <enter>
    (registers the dll)

    or maybe Kelly has something
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

    Pennywise, Jan 7, 2008
  7. fotoobscura

    pcbutts1 Guest

    That is part of my shell fix tool.
    Go Seahawks!

    pcbutts1, Jan 7, 2008
  8. fotoobscura

    Leythos Guest

    No, that's part of the fix found on the MS site where you got the
    information you hacked into a script you host on your porno website.

    Leythos, Jan 7, 2008
  9. fotoobscura

    fotoobscura Guest

    Tried regsvr recommendation, unreg and re-reg. No deal.

    Went to Kelly's, looked at all the search related issues. Couldn't
    find anything that was close to my problem.

    Hmm

    fotoobscura, Jan 12, 2008