    Can do CTRl-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager (eventually) and CPU is
    low as is memory usage.

    Start up in Safe mode seems much better. How do I procedd with this?

    BertieBigBollox, Aug 1, 2007

  2. What spyware was "cleaned" and how did you do it? What tools did you
    use?
    How much RAM do you have?
    Definitely something is amiss...
    Explain better. Amount of free RAM is low? CPU is using a low amount of
    RAM?
    Assuming you did have some kind of spyware/malware (your non-detailed
    first statement), try more tools.

    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#spyware

    You appear to be using a broadband connection. Is there any *outbound*
    traffic from your computer, like it is sitting there spewing spam
    because you have a mass-mailing worm on it? What does your firewall or
    router tell you about this?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 1, 2007

  3. BertieBigBollox

    Mike Guest

    Does sound like vermin of some sort on your mahine. I would also run
    an up to date virus checker (will probably take 24hours or more) and
    Ad-aware and install WinPatrol (both free to download). Actually,
    install WinPatrol first to stop changes your system files.

    Mike, Aug 1, 2007
  4. BertieBigBollox

    Buffalo Guest

    Perhaps your cpu is overheating.
    Dust and a worn out cpu/heatsink fan are sometimes the culprit.
    If Intel cpu's get too hot, they go into a protective slowdown mode.

    Buffalo, Aug 1, 2007
  5. Get Process Explorer and use it instead of Task Manager to figure out what
    is using CPU cycles.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

    Be sure to expand the listings, and note that putting hte mouse over entries
    can give you more information.

    If the system is mostly slow at startup, check to see if Automatic Updates
    is the culprit. On some systems, this can cause problems for over ten
    minutes at start.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Aug 1, 2007
  6. Yep. Already run Ad-Aware and done a virus scan...

    BertieBigBollox, Aug 1, 2007
  7. BertieBigBollox

    Ron Martell Guest

    A failing hard drive (multiple retries for every read or write) can
    result in a very slow machine. Fortunately this situation does not
    last too long, as the hard drive usually dies completely within a few
    days. Make sure that S.M.A.R.T. monitoring is enabled for your hard
    drive. Also go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site, download
    their diagnostic test utility, and run that to check out the drive.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Aug 1, 2007

  8. Exactly how did you do this? What tools did you use? A single
    anti-malware tool is normally not enough.

    These days the most common cause for such performance issues is
    malware infestation. The first thing to do is always to be absolutely
    sure you are really free of malware. Go to
    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware and
    follow the steps there.

    Ugh! Using a registry cleaner is one of the most dangerous things you
    can do. Besides being completely unnecessary, it's likely to create or
    exacerbate problems, not fix them.

    Ken Blake, MVP, Aug 1, 2007
  9. Hi There,

    It's your hard drive, IDE cable or IDE header on mainboard
    Backup all data as soon as possible
    then change cable if no change move cable to another IDE header.
    If still slow replace hard drive
    is your HD activity light on all the time?

    laptopmechanic, Aug 1, 2007
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA, Aug 2, 2007
  11. Funnily enough having just checked the error log, there are a load of
    disk errors in there.... :-(

    BertieBigBollox, Aug 2, 2007
  12. Exactly how did you do this? What tools did you use? A single
    Spybot, Ad-aware, TuneUp Utilities...

    Interesting...

    BertieBigBollox, Aug 2, 2007
  13. Have managed to boot in safe mode and run msconfig...

    After disabling a load of stuff in there, and rebooting, it works OK.

    Now I guess its trying to ffigure out what was in the original startup
    thats causing the problems.

    BTW. Its not my PC - its my teenage nephews laptop and hes complaing
    about it freezing. As you can imagine theres all sorts of downloads
    etc on there !!!!

    BertieBigBollox, Aug 2, 2007
  14. BertieBigBollox

    Buffalo Guest

    There is a program (free) that is called SuperAntiSpyware that has had
    good customer reviews. Google for it.

    Buffalo, Aug 2, 2007
  15. OK. Think I've sorted it....

    I've removed all the various 'Toolbars for....XYZ' etc and also
    removed some Packard Bell support stuff that seems to be running at
    startup. Much better now....

    BertieBigBollox, Aug 2, 2007