XP Pro used as a print server

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by jas0n, Dec 15, 2006.

  1. jas0n

    jas0n Guest

    I have a network where lots of different people come in and need to have
    internet/printer access.

    We have setup a guest internet access and there are network printers
    that can be installed printing direct to the ip but they need the driver
    installing, etc.

    Would adding a basic win xp pro workgroup pc with all printers
    added/shared - guest account enabled allow majority of w2k/win xp
    laptops to simply connect via \\ipaddressofpc\printque which would setup
    the printer.

    I know xp pro would be limited to 10 concurrent connections, this is not
    likely to be a problem, if it was I could up the os to win2k3 server.

    The main issue I am trying to avoid is installing drivers for people on
    their systems .. their laptops will be various personally owned or from
    other company domains, etc and with xp non admin accounts allowing folk
    to install network printers but not local printers thats a limitation im
    trying to get around.

    jas0n, Dec 15, 2006

  2. jas0n

    Conor Guest

    Good luck. Not quite that easy. At some point they're going to have to
    do some configuring so it might as well be automagically installing
    drivers rather than having to edit printer properties.

    Conor, Dec 16, 2006

  3. jas0n

    jas0n Guest

    I'll know after tomorrow - I left an unnatended install of xp going
    before I left tonight - will setup standard xp sp2 + printers shared
    out, enable the guest account and see if will allow other
    domain/workgroup systems to install the shared printers via:-

    \\ipaddress\printshare

    .... We do all the automagic installs on our domain - its just the
    rabble, sorry guests they allow onto the guest network im trying to
    minimise support for.

    jas0n, Dec 20, 2006