    disk.

    Thanks,

    smackedass

    smackedass, Mar 6, 2008

  2. PA Bear [MS MVP], Mar 6, 2008

  3. I afraid SP1 is no longer in support and there are no legit MS sites
    supporting it. You might be able to find the service pack in Windows
    Downloads (archives) but not the entire OS. One source for XP SP1 cd's is
    probably eBay, however I see no items listed today.

    Microsoft does not provide a torrent.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 6, 2008
  4. smackedass

    Bob I Guest

    Bob I, Mar 6, 2008
  5. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    What I meant was, as opposed to SP2. I have a bootable SP2 disk, but not
    the original, whatever you'd choose to call it.

    NOW, bear with me while I vent. I don't expect anyone to have any answers,
    but after dealing with this BS for the better part of a full day, I must
    scream:

    WHY doesn't Microsoft just make their software available for the download,
    no questions asked, and then have a logical, consistent, foolproof method of
    making people authenticate it and be unable to install it on more than one
    machine? It's the SILLIEST GODDAM thing; god forbid, someone (like my
    customer) loses their disk, how can they be shit outa luck like that? WHY
    should they? I'm sure if I had a day or two, I'd be able to track someone
    down who had the right disk (I guess that the BitTorrent people have been
    read the riot act, because it's nowhere to be seen there, you're not even
    allowed to MENTION it in their "forum"), but my customer needs her computer
    back today! I have the stupid 25-character label! Why not the software to
    match?!?

    Ironically, when I browsed through the less savory sites, there were XP Pro
    SP1A torrents all over the place; I downloaded a few of them, they were ALL
    bogus, and NONE of them asked TO BE ACTIVATED! And I DIDN'T USE THEM! once
    I saw that they were bogus! What a senseless bunch of CRAP!

    I mean, I know that they're able to arrange a fair deal now, it works for
    the 2007 Office suite, and, to the best of my knowledge, for Vista; for XP,
    can't they just send out another "patch" for this to be able to happen?
    They have no problem sending out a new patch every two days about every
    other freaking security loopole, anyway.

    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

    Thank you.

    sa

    smackedass, Mar 6, 2008
  6. smackedass

    John O Guest

    One word: monopoly.

    -John O

    John O, Mar 7, 2008
  7. Toyota owns the rights to manufacture Toyotas. Is Toyata a monopoly?
    Microsoft owns the rights to Windows. Is MS a monopoly?

    Microsoft does not own any rights to computing that prevents anyone to use
    whatever operating system he wants.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 7, 2008
  8. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    My one word response to this: Semantics

    Mister, Mar 7, 2008
  9. smackedass

    John O Guest

    Ha-ha, that's funny. You might want to read up on your history of US
    monopolies.

    John O, Mar 8, 2008
  10. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    I think that whether or not Microsoft is a monopoly (I don't believe that it
    is, Mac, Linux and Novell are available) is inconsequential. My point is,
    once you pay for their software, and have a tag to prove it, the software
    ought to be available for the download. Monopoly or not.

    sa

    smackedass, Mar 8, 2008
  11. You don't buy the software. You buy a license to use it. While microsoft
    does in fact provide for download of some Windows versions now, they do not
    provide a torrent. Why do you insist it be a torrent, anyway? MS uses an
    FTP transfer, especially for files larger than 1GB and the transfers are
    pretty fast.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 8, 2008
  12. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    I'm not demanding a torrent. I'm pleading for the ability to do something
    that any enterprise interested in the proper implementation of good customer
    service ought to. Whether you buy the software or buy the license, there's
    no good reason why the software shouldn't be available, if you own the
    license. Then, during the installation, when they ask for the code, you
    enter the legal code; this should be the gauntlet to navigate to make the
    copy legal. Then, you should have to authenticate it, to register the code,
    and then everybody's happy. But apparently, you think that that's too much
    to ask for. I do not.

    sa

    smackedass, Mar 8, 2008
  13. I don't know why XP was never set up the way Office is and the way Vista has
    been, but it just wasn't. In any case, you should address the concern to MS
    since no one here is in any position to change things. I agree with the
    idea that XP should be downloadable just like Office, but it generally isn't
    unless you have a subscription to MSDN or some other program like it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 8, 2008
  14. ..
    ..
    ..
    ....so what prevents you from using your SP2 disk with your customer's
    product key?

    As a bonus, that will save you waiting for the SP2 update to download and
    install.

    Gotde T Shirt, Mar 8, 2008
  15. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    I agree with the
    Thank you.

    sa

    smackedass, Mar 8, 2008
  16. smackedass

    Unknown Guest

    You would think otherwise if you were running a software business.

    Unknown, Mar 8, 2008
  17. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    The only thing that I can think of is that the easier it is to obtain the
    software, the more of it will be ATTEMPTED to be hijacked. However, if the
    licensing scheme and the authentication were idiot-proofed--and we know that
    that's possible, because they're doing it with Office 2007, and I guess with
    Vista--it wouldn't matter.

    As opposed to how Windows '95 was practically an invitation for hijack, but
    they know how to avoid that now.

    sa

    smackedass, Mar 8, 2008
  18. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    That's reasonable. I wouldn't expect to pay $0 for a replacement disk, I
    will reply to Barry's other post, below.

    sa

    smackedass, Mar 10, 2008
  19. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Barry,

    I could swear, that the XP Pro SP2 disk that I have is NOT an OEM copy; to
    be sure, I'm not positive, but when it prompts the user to enter the
    25-character key, that means that it's off the shelf, right?

    And, I'll pay closer attention next time, but I could have sworn that my
    Home Edition SP1 vs. SP2 disks only worked with tags that were identified as
    SP1 and SP2, respectively.

    sa

    smackedass, Mar 21, 2008