    Using the administrator account that the PC itself(no domain) was originally
    setup with wont let me remove that domain and reset it to "Workgroup". What
    are my alternatives short or re-installing XP Pro?

    jim, Jun 4, 2004

  2. jim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I think domains are variable based on the user account. If the Adminstrator
    account had no domain, maybe you can't fix it, s0 you would need to log in
    as the user, then change it.

    Now, my theory is that you can't login in as the user, because the compuer
    is not connected to the domain, correct? All I can say is "bummer, dude"!
    And suggest that you log in as the administrator again, create a new user,
    log out, log in as that new user. Then you'll need to manually move any
    files, settings, etc. from the old user account. Eventually when everything
    is working correctly, you can delete the old user account.

    However, it may be wise to post this question under one of the Windows
    Server newsgroups. I'm sure this issue would be more along those lines.

    As a Novell network admin, I don't work much with Windows Servers, but I
    *do* have enough sense to change those pertinent settings before I transfer
    a computer off the network.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 4, 2004

  3. jim

    Jerry G. Guest

    Are you signing on as the administrator???

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    I have a WinXP Pro workstation that was previously attached to a SBS2003
    domain. It is now no longer associated(nor attached) with that domain.

    Jerry G., Jun 4, 2004
  4. jim

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Right click on the My Computer icon>properties>computer name>change.

    pcbutts1, Jun 4, 2004
  5. jim

    Brian Guest

    go into the registry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\parameters
    and look for the value domain.. or anything which looks like the domain the
    PC was in and delete the values.. you can also change the computer name
    there

    Brian, Jun 4, 2004
  6. jim

    Ron Reaugh Guest

    I have encountered the same. The local administrator can't change the
    name-domain setting. At the end it asks one for the user name and password
    for an account with permission to remove the computer from the domain which
    is obviously the domain administrator. The domain adminstrator's password
    is not avaibale in this case. The question is how to force the XP Pro
    computer back to "Workgroup".

    Does anyone KNOW?

    Ron Reaugh, Jun 5, 2004
  7. jim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Good point. Like I said earlier, the administrator /should/ have taken care
    of that before reassigning the workstation. Oh well...I wish I could offer

    Toolman Tim, Jun 5, 2004
  8. jim

    djlawler

    Joined:
    May 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Too late for the original poster...but...

    This is a semi-dangerous thing to try....before starting make sure you have backed everything up that you cannot afford to lose and that you have the license key used to install XP handy.

    I found a way to do this. Get Microsoft's Sysprep tool. Run it - select 'reseal' and mini setup and let it reboot the computer. During the mini-setup that then runs - put the computer into a workgroup of your choosing. When you are done - all the software you have is still there (and drivers and patches). Some user setings may be altered - but it is better than reloading everything.

    Your mileage may vary - so please back up your data and don't hurt me :stickyma: if it does not work for you!

    Regards,

    DJL

    djlawler, May 18, 2007