    Is there a way to turn off what seem to be blatent advertising built into
    XP?

    Thanks, BillyBoy

    BillyBoy, Oct 13, 2003

  2. BillyBoy

    °Mike° Guest

    You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
    uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
    firewall.

    To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
    open the Services panel by typing...

    services.msc /s

    ....into the Start / Run box.
    In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
    Right click and choose 'Properties'.
    Click the 'Stop' button.
    From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
    'Apply / Ok'.

    More information:

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
    Advertisement Appears

    Windows Messages
    http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

    How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
    Service
    http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/messengerService.html

    How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
    XP-Based Computer

    Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

    Firewalls:
    ------------
    Outpost

    Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    °Mike°, Oct 13, 2003

  3. BillyBoy

    Mike0000 Guest

    Two things:

    1. Download and run ad aware.

    2. Disable messenger.

    Visit the site in my sig for links to both. The last question in the
    FAQ will take care of messenger.

    Mike0000, Oct 13, 2003
  4. BillyBoy

    yugsdrawkcab Guest

    You don't need a firewall just to stop messenger spam you idiot.
    /snip/

    yugsdrawkcab, Oct 14, 2003
  5. BillyBoy

    Patrick Guest

    This link is to a utility that can sit on your desktop, it will turn off/on
    the 'Messenger Service' that is being used by the SPAMS. (note, the name of
    the program, it only cures a symtom of a problem).
    http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

    I am not quite sure if the prog at link below cures the problem, but I
    believe it may be helpfull, the prog is as the one above, (sits on desktop
    and turns thing on/off), worth haveing a look anyway;
    http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm

    Patrick, Oct 14, 2003