XP outsells Linux on EEEs by more than 2.5 to 1

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Oct 24, 2008.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    Nixophiles love to cite a statistic claiming that Asus has achieved a 60-40
    split in sales of the EEE between Windows and Linux. Sounds impressive --
    until you do the math.

    According to the Asus CEO, there have so far been 4 million EEE's sold, of
    which 60% (2.4 million) have Windows on board on 40% (1.6 million) have
    Linux.

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/oct/08/linux.windows

    But Asus waited 6 months to release a Windows version of the EEE, during
    which time the Linux version, without any competition from Windows, sold
    only 700,000 units, a major disappointment:

    http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20080204PB200.htm

    Since April 2008, sales of the Linux models have totalled 900,000 units
    (slightly better) while the more expensive Windows models racked up sales
    totalling more than 2.5 times higher -- 2.4 million.

    Simple arithmetic will shoot down a nix fanatsy every time!

    impossible, Oct 24, 2008

  2. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "dilberts_left_nut" <not@home> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> Nixophiles love to cite a statistic claiming that Asus has achieved a
    >> 60-40 split in sales of the EEE between Windows and Linux. Sounds
    >> impressive -- until you do the math.
    >>
    >> According to the Asus CEO, there have so far been 4 million EEE's sold,
    >> of which 60% (2.4 million) have Windows on board on 40% (1.6 million)
    >> have Linux.
    >>
    >> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/oct/08/linux.windows
    >>
    >> But Asus waited 6 months to release a Windows version of the EEE, during
    >> which time the Linux version, without any competition from Windows, sold
    >> only 700,000 units, a major disappointment:
    >>
    >> http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20080204PB200.htm
    >>
    >> Since April 2008, sales of the Linux models have totalled 900,000 units
    >> (slightly better) while the more expensive Windows models racked up sales
    >> totalling more than 2.5 times higher -- 2.4 million.
    >>
    >> Simple arithmetic will shoot down a nix fanatsy every time!
    >>

    > You seem to have a bit of a hard on about the ratio's of EEE's sold, do
    > you have shares? Did you buy the wrong one? Or are you just being a
    > plonker....

    Nah, just busting another nixophile myth. Thank you for your input, but you
    clearly have no evidence to contradict me, so goodbye.

    impossible, Oct 24, 2008