    I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
    Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?
    I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.

    Karl Engel, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Karl Engel

    Martik Guest

    Will run better than 98. I have XP on a PII 350 no problem. Turn off the
    visual effects for best performance. You will also need at least a 6GB HD.

    Martik, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Karl Engel

    Pennywise Guest

    |>I use a PIII 500Mhz 256MB RAM W98SE computer with ADSL for internet; I see
    |>Skype requires W2000 or XP. Will this config run OK on XP do you think?
    |>I've had no need to consider XP for this computer until now.

    It would work fine, more memory would help.

    You would want to turn off themes and go with windows classic, takes
    away a lot of the cpu overhead.

    Pennywise, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Karl Engel

    rainwoodman Guest

    I think this conifg will be alright.
    If you can add another 256MB of ram to the computer, XP will work
    better.

    However, you may have to format your harddisk before install. XP eats
    your harddisk space.

    Karl Engel 写é“:

    rainwoodman, Aug 12, 2005
  5. Karl Engel

    SgtMinor Guest

    XP should run without too much difficulty, but if you have some older
    peripherals there may not be XP drivers for them.

    From Microsoft:

    "System requirements for Windows XP operating systems"

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314865

    SgtMinor, Aug 12, 2005
  6. Karl Engel

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I agree with the other posts - go for it. I use an old (1998) laptop with a
    PIII 750 and it's great. I was using a PIII 500 in it before I upgraded the
    CPU, and it was fine.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 12, 2005
  7. NO!!!

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Aug 12, 2005
  8. Karl Engel

    FML Guest

    I am writing this reply on a P3 450Mhz 256Mb win XP SP2 connected to
    Comcast broadband via a wireless PCMCIA adapter. Its an old Compaq 1830
    laptop that I keep in the TV room. Works just fine.

    FML, Aug 12, 2005
  9. Karl Engel

    Barry OGrady Guest

    I have no doubt. I have run XP on a PII 233 mHz with 128 meg ram and a Celeron
    400 with 64 megs RAM.
    XP will work fine on your computer.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Aug 12, 2005
  10. Karl Engel

    Barry OGrady Guest

    256 Megs is plenty. XP will run with 64 megs.

    Windows 95B will run on a 386SX with 4 megs RAM.
    Barry
    =====

    Barry OGrady, Aug 12, 2005
  11. Karl Engel

    kenny Guest

    You computer will work, however you should turn off all the eye candy as the
    rest said and remain with classic style and also install more ram.
    Try to get it to 512mb... ram is not so expensive now, and you will save
    that
    computer to be used as a secondary one in the future when you do get a new
    one.
    After installation you must not let too many programs go to the startup.
    In general install only what you need to retain fastest possible
    preformance.
    My currecnt computer is 2.6 ghz with 1 gig ram,
    but I have a secondary one that is a celeron 533mhz with 512 mb ram.

    Just for testing purposes:
    My record is installing xp on a pentium 90 mhz with 64 mb ram.
    :) I could probably install XP on a fast 486 (say 100 mhz one) with 64 ram
    on it.

    Kenny S
    www.computerboom.com

    kenny, Aug 14, 2005