XP network takes a very long time to display DIR

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by LowlyEngineer, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. We have a 100Mbit network at work that consists of an NT4
    sever/domain controller and about 40 XP pro clients.
    When all the clients were running 98 or ME, bringing up a file on the
    server was almost instantaneous.

    Since we have upgraded to XP, it now takes 20-30 seconds to view the
    contents of a networked drive. The drive shows up immediately, as do
    all the folders, but when you click on the folder to open it, you get
    the familiar "swinging flashlight" for a long time. The directory
    listing eventually appears.

    The same thing happens when we try to connect to networked printers.

    We are using static IP's. We have also loaded NETBUI. That didn't
    help. The only protocols loaded on all machines are tcp/ip and
    NETBUI.

    We connected a 98 machine to the network, and it was just as fast as
    before, so the problem isn't the network, it is the interaction
    between our network setup and XP.

    There seems to be a connection between the number of files in the
    directory. If a directory only has a few files, it comes up quickly.
    If the directory has thousands of files, it can take up to 50 seconds
    to appear.

    Can anyone tell me what might be the problem?

    I have an ETHEREAL capture of the traffic, if anyone would like to
    view that. There are an awful lot of messages such as:

    1308> netbios-ssn [ACK] seq=39931 ACK=786967 Win 32140 [CHECKSUM
    INCORRECT] Len=0

    Charles Linquist

    LowlyEngineer, Feb 18, 2005

  2. LowlyEngineer

    farsis Guest

    Have you tried logging in locally on a windows xp machine with a valid
    username/password instead of logging on to the domain and then brows your
    network? Not to say this is the solution but it will narrow your problem
    down if you bring up your shares much faster. This would have your windows
    xp act more like a window9X machine on the network.

    farsis, Feb 19, 2005

  3. LowlyEngineer

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:05:38 -0800, LowlyEngineer wrote:

    Not looked into this much but have seen the the same thing happen this
    week when new PCs delivered. Was a NT4/2000 Domain with nearly all
    NT4/2000 clients. The XP boxes are slow opening to shares.
    Some twerp also introduced a delay by putting the optical drive at D:
    and the mapped drives are after that, going to try changing that Monday.
    100Mbps doesn't have much to do with it, unless your link to the server
    is swamped. If you can , u/g the server/switch to 1Gbps.

    Can you run perl/mrtg on the server to get some basic bandwidth usage?
    http://www.activestate.com/
    http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

    If not, maybe some switch stats if they are managed?

    I have seen a Windows Explorer find/search from 1 PC swamp a 100Mbps
    link however.

    There are several bits to read about xp delay opening mapped drives,
    www.google.com a bit.
    SP level.
    XP has a couple of registry settings, (although it was months ago I
    looked, when the 1st few XPs turned up) we have noticed mapped drives
    kept showing a red x on the drive icon.

    There are a couple of settings in the registry for stopping the drive
    disconnects, and timer settings. The XP boxes were losing connection
    every couple of minutes, changing the settings helped.
    Unless needed I would take NetBEUI off again.

    You didn't say where that trace is from , server or client.
    Is it the same with the 98 box?

    The msg may be a false lead, you can get these messages with smart NICS,
    and having the checksums offloaded to the NIC, it's not the same as the
    PC OS doing the checksums / verifying.

    I thought I had read that somewhere, oddly enough the Ethereal FAQ.
    http://www.ethereal.com/faq#q5.14 see the note on how to disable this
    check and see what another trace shows.

    You haven't said much about network kit, switches brands/models, XP
    nics, if autodetect speed/duplex all match?

    Is the W98 PC autodecting differently from XP?

    Me

    why?, Feb 19, 2005
  4. LowlyEngineer

    why? Guest

    <snip>

    From www.google.com ,
    http://www.ss64.com/nt/slow_browsing.html

    Me

    why?, Feb 19, 2005
  5. Thanks for all the help. I'll try it on Tuesday.

    Charles Linquist, Feb 19, 2005