    Help please?

    Rgds
    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Stephen

    Rob Morley Guest

    Read the manual for the router, or at least tell us which one it is.

    Rob Morley, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    Router is an edimax Broadbandrouter, 4 ports. the network is working fine
    just the shared internet connection doesnt work on the second pc?

    This is the info from the router site;

    thanks for any help

    Stephen

    Multi-homing
    With the multi-homing function, you can lease up to 4 different types of WAN
    lines (T1¡BxDSL¡BCable) from different ISPs. The router can let each user in
    your office makes use of all of the WANs simultaneously without changing any
    configuration of his/her PC.

    lP Sharing
    The NAT/PAT function lets you share WAN lines to all the Intranet users. The
    router can let you setup trigger ports of special applications, and let you
    access Internet services smoothly. The VPN pass through function supports
    IPSec and PPTP VPNs that helps you setup your VPN easily.

    WAN Load Balance and Failover
    Dynamically direct each of the LAN clients to a suitable WAN line according
    to the max bandwidth and current loading of the WAN lines. You also can
    configurate a WAN line to act as a backup to the others. This backup WAN
    line is not active in the beginning. When all other WAN lines fail, the
    system will activate the backup WAN line and redirect the network traffic to
    the backup WAN line.

    Support All ISP Connecting Methods
    Support PPPoE, static IP, dynamic IP (DHCP client), PPTP connecting method.
    You can use this router no matter your ISP provide you fix lease line
    (T1/E1), ADSL, Cable.
    Firewall
    The SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) firewall can protect your Intranet PCs
    from illegal access and many kinds of DoS attacks from the Internet, and
    alert you by e-mail in the first time if some event happens. The router also
    can control which PC has the right to access the Internet.

    Virtual Server and DMZ
    The virtual server and DMZ function let you setup your server in the
    Intranet and still can provide services to the Internet user by public IP.

    DHCP Server
    The DHCP server dispatches IPs to all Intranet PCs automatically. You can
    check IP and MAC addresses mapping table in any time.

    Web Remote Management
    The friendly Web user interface let you configurate the router by a browser
    without pre-install any software. You can assign trusted IPs and let the
    administrator configurate the router from the Internet.

    Stephen, Sep 15, 2003
  4. Stephen

    Mr. Nangla Guest

    hey,

    are you using any firewalls, including Microsoft's ICF? Does your router
    support DCHP and are your apdapter set to 'automatically obtain IP address'?

    check that :)
    sonny

    Mr. Nangla, Sep 15, 2003
  5. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    Thanks sonny

    Yeah but i had it off to test it? zone alarm Pro. router supports DHCP
    adapers are set to optain IP auto, i think its the Internet Connection
    Sharing (ICS) when i set it to share i lose connection? i read this could
    happen but then it says to set pcs to optain IPs auto? thats what i done?
    any more idea's?

    Thanks already

    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 16, 2003
  6. Stephen

    Rob Morley Guest

    <snip>

    From that information it would appear that your router is a BR-6541, in
    which case the four ports are WAN ports, not LAN ports, and you're
    connecting your two machines with a hub. Can you confirm this?
    Are you using DHCP on both your machines?

    Rob Morley, Sep 16, 2003
  7. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    I also switched off the MS firewall.

    I have a feeling its the sharing? i am getting close? cn someone advise
    please

    Thanks again already

    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 16, 2003
  8. Stephen

    Mr. Nangla Guest

    hmmmmmmm,

    'Duplicate Administrator'... have you tried to access XP pro #1 through a
    guest account or a limited account from the XP pro #2?

    I got 1x Win98 and 2x XPs (both accessing as administrator) and that works
    fine, try that anyway. This setup makes the IP address of the router:
    192.168.0.1 (default gateway), is it on yours? Also have you tried
    microsoft's support pages for XP and try serching for:

    "Duplicate Administrator This devise is managed by" in www.vivisimo.com

    Hope this helps
    Sonny

    Mr. Nangla, Sep 16, 2003
  9. Stephen

    Mr. Nangla Guest

    correction:
    got 1x Win98 and 2x XPs (both accessing as administrator) and that works
    fine.
    :)

    Mr. Nangla, Sep 16, 2003
  10. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    Ok ill try that and let you know how it goes, sonds logical ;-)

    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 16, 2003
  11. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    Hi Rob

    Your right the ports are WAN but also lan.
    The internet goes to the modem Speed touch Alcatel and then to the MDI-X
    port on the router the pcs 2 and three are connected to the ports available
    for this! i am using DHCP on both machines.

    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 16, 2003
  12. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    Just noticed that the WAN lights are not both lite? the LAN lights are
    working!! how can i get that other WAN light to work?

    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 16, 2003
  13. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    I was reading? ;-) the manual i think i should probably disconect the DHCP
    on the second pc? and have it running just on the main pc, can someone
    verify this?

    Tnx
    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 16, 2003
  14. Stephen

    Rob Morley Guest

    According to the manual that I read you've got it all backwards - the
    four ports are for WAN connections, and you use one or other of the
    two LAN ports to connect to the hub that your LAN is on, depending on
    whether you need straight-through or crossover cabling.

    Rob Morley, Sep 16, 2003
  15. Stephen

    Mr. Nangla Guest

    Hey,

    Firstly check your manual as to what suppose to happen to your lights, I
    can't help you there though :-( Also what do you mean disconnect DHCP on the
    second PC? The equivalent of turning off DHCP is to untick 'obtain IP
    address automatically' and specify the IP address for you self.

    PC #2

    IP address: 192.168.0.3
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway 192.168.0.1 (router)

    Mr. Nangla, Sep 16, 2003
  16. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    The light on the WAN is not lighting as it should one the bottom one is
    though. the other light should also light.

    The DHCP was because i read somewhere that it should be running on the main
    pc, and not the rest, thanks though i didnt know that it was to untik the
    obtain IP auto, thanks, the upset of the pcs modem and router are correct as
    in the manual. default gatway subnet mask are all correct, i can use the
    shared folders on the LAN, just cannot share the internet? if i click on to
    share the internet from the main pc i lose connection on all pc's? i also
    read this was because then they get asigned Ips and this causes conflict?

    What do you suggest?
    Tnx
    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 16, 2003
  17. Stephen

    Mr. Nangla Guest

    Have you got NAT, Network Address Translation, it basically allows all
    computers to use one IP (interenet) address? DId you use Windows XP network
    wizard and what interenet connection did you select? FInally just to confirm
    your set-up, you have two XPs computers connected to 1 router with built-in
    modem, switch and router?

    Sonny

    Mr. Nangla, Sep 16, 2003
  18. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    My first post stated that :"Duplicate Administrator This devise is managed
    by 192.168. x.xxx
    currently!!!"
    Both xp pro pcs! both logged in as admin! i tried logging in as guest on
    second pc same result?

    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 16, 2003
  19. Stephen

    Rob Morley Guest

    That's probably because you're trying to log into the router on the WAN
    interface, and nothing to do with the machines from which you're trying
    to access it. By default the machine will only allow administration from
    the LAN, as it's telling you - 192.168.x.xxx
    Did you read the manual? Did you understand the manual?

    Rob Morley, Sep 16, 2003
  20. Stephen

    Stephen Guest

    Thanks Rob, i think your right there!
    Im going to read the manual again tomorrow in the train ;) i got this anser
    from another post, it also sounds like it might help me?

    you only need DHCP on one machine on your network

    If you have it on 2 machines, you are going to get a conflict when a client
    requests a IP address.

    my rule is one DHCP server for each subnet

    Stephen, Sep 17, 2003