    I then ran AVG and it was not reporting any viruses.

    What could cause my computer to suddenly slow down like this?

    -Doug

    Doug, Nov 19, 2004

  2. Doug

    Stickems. Guest

    Try a restore to an earlier date.

    Stickems., Nov 19, 2004

  3. Doug

    RobD. Guest

    Do a cold restart (shut down, not restart) and get back into windows. If the
    sluggishness still seems to be present, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and at the bottom
    of the task manager, you should see a CPU Usage dialogue. Don't move your
    mouse or touch any keys and watch this % for a moment and let it flatten
    out. I'm suspecting that if you are still experiencing this slowness, you
    should see this usage above 90%. Anything above 10% on a completely idle
    machine, you know something is up. If you have a high CPU usage, go to the
    processes tab and find out which application is generating the most CPU
    usage by reading the CPU column. Report back here with what you find.

    RobD., Nov 19, 2004
  4. Doug

    Conor Guest

    CPU fan failing meaning that the CPU is running hot so it automatically
    slows down to prevent it from frying?

    Conor, Nov 19, 2004
  5. Doug

    Doug Guest

    I did as you suggested & the CPU Usage dialogue stayed at or near 2%;never
    rising above 4%.

    Doug, Nov 20, 2004
  6. Doug

    Barry Guest

    Give your server a call, a lot of times it could be on their end, I know it
    was in my case, my pc got really slow, and I couldn't find anything so i
    gave them a call, guess want,,the tech. told me he don't know how it
    happened but I was off frequency, he set it back on frequency and that
    solved my problem,,,,,

    Barry, Nov 20, 2004
  7. Doug

    RobD. Guest

    in this case there's many things you should check. does the memory count
    total to what you have installed? check your page-file settings and make
    sure windows is automatically handling this. make sure your hard drive has
    plenty of available storage space. if all these things seem to be in line,
    try disabling your active-scan on AVG and see if the performance gets any
    better whatsoever. If that doesnt help the matter, you've got me stumped. .
    .. Don't forget to check for spyware using -both- Ad-Aware and Spybot.

    RobD., Nov 20, 2004
  8. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Lack of available HD storage seems to have been the culprit.
    On a hunch I checked my HD and discovered that I had less than 1GB left
    available.
    After dumping unwanted programs and burning 52 mp3 cd's and 7 data cd's,then
    deleting those files I was able to free up an additional 6 GB's of storage
    space and things returned to normal speed.

    Thanks for all your help.

    -Doug

    Doug, Nov 20, 2004