XP keeps trying to go through setup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SGT Robo, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. SGT Robo

    SGT Robo Guest

    I'm trying to install Windows XP Professional on a Windows Celeron 633-based
    system.

    I have a 30GB hard drive, that I format using NTFS. It formats the HDD,
    begins copying files onto the HDD, then says "this portion of setup is
    complete, your system will reboot in 15 seconds"

    so it reboots, and it goes through the cycle again.

    It reads the CD, asks if I want to setup Windows XP, then says "hey, there
    is already a \windows directory on the C:\ drive, do you want to do a dual
    boot, do you want to delete the contents of this folder and install windows
    there, or do you want to install to a separate directory", then it gives
    some gibberish about checking the microsoft website for advice on dual
    booting.

    It does this over and over and over again. I tried disabling ACPI in my
    BIOS, and hitting F5 while setup was starting, but the F5 didn't seem to do
    anything at all. I tried ejecting the XP CD ROM and restarting, but then it
    starts up and says "Missng Operating System"

    why the heck does XP insist on restarting, only to go through the exact same
    setup steps again? And why can't I disable ACPI?

    bah. thanks for any help.

    SGT Robo, Aug 2, 2004

  2. SGT Robo

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I think it says to remove the CD when it reboots. If the install process
    wants the CD again, then it will call for it later on during the install
    process.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 2, 2004

  3. SGT Robo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Why would you want to disable ACPI? I've ran into this before only with a
    BIOS that was not fully ACPI compliant. There were no BIOS updates
    available. You might check for BIOS updates for you mobo before disabling
    ACPI.

    However, to disable ACPI when XP is installing, you will see a line at the
    bottom of your screen indicating progress during the setup boot process.
    IIRC, when it says something about pressing F6 to load other drivers, you
    press F7. (Or was it F8 and you press F7? Dang, getting old sucks! The
    memory is definately the first to go. Then sex. Then the memory of sex <g>)

    Well...let me check Google...BRB...ahh, here it is <g>

    Toolman Tim, Aug 2, 2004
  4. SGT Robo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    The second time through, the computer will not boot the XP setup CD again
    unless the person installing it tells the computer to boot from the CD when
    the computer asks "Boot from CD?" If that is answered with No, or ignored,
    the install will continue from the hard drive. The OP doesn't indicate that
    he is tellling it to boot from the CD, but if that's the case, he should
    stop doing so <g>. If that isn't what is happening, he has a problem more
    severe than a bootable CD in the drive.

    Toolman Tim, Aug 2, 2004
  5. SGT Robo

    SGT Robo Guest

    hey, thanks for the reply.

    unfortunately, I tried that one. When I eject the CD-ROM, and reboot, it
    tries to boot up, then says 'Missing Operating System'

    SGT Robo, Aug 2, 2004
  6. SGT Robo

    SGT Robo Guest

    I don't get a message about booting from the CD drive. It never asks me, it
    just automatically boots from it.

    If I take the CD out when I reboot, it tells me that there is 'No Valid
    Operating System' or 'Missing Operating System'

    SGT Robo, Aug 2, 2004
  7. SGT Robo

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The link may give you a clue as to the issue.

    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/setup05.html

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 2, 2004
  8. SGT Robo

    Jimmy Guest

    Take out the CD, it does that and boots each time from it

    Jimmy, Aug 2, 2004
  9. SGT Robo

    SGT Robo Guest

    SGT Robo, Aug 2, 2004
  10. SGT Robo

    SGT Robo Guest

    hurm

    "couldn't open boot partition to check for a signature"

    I caught this message before it rebooted, once again, into setup

    any thoughts on this? PLEASE!?!?!

    SGT Robo, Aug 2, 2004
  11. SGT Robo

    TT Guest

    I haven't seen in the posts where you have looked into the bios to see the
    boot order on that machine. If the PC looks somewhere stupid after
    checking the CDrom, like a type of boot device that you don't have right
    now or the wrong drive and never gets around to checking the hard drive
    where the install files are now located, it'll never get loaded...
    Some MOBOs have a nasty, stupid habit of changing the boot order when a
    New OS is introduced and it reboots...
    Good luck. Assunming the PC has only one HDD, then the boot order
    should be something like CDROM or optical drive first, then HDD and then
    anything else...make sure that the HDD mentioned is the RIGHT HDD!!!
    If you've reset CMOS during your frustration, this could have reset the
    boot order as well as changed several other BIOS settings that are not now
    working in your best interests...

    TT, Aug 2, 2004
  12. DO NOT DUAL BOOT

    Samuel Townsend, Aug 2, 2004
  13. SGT Robo

    SGT Robo Guest

    I'm not. What gave you the idea I was trying to dual boot?

    SGT Robo, Aug 3, 2004