XP install doesnt recognize Diamond Max Plus 9 200GB harddisk

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TNT2003, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. TNT2003

    TNT2003 Guest

    Hi, installed a Diamondmax Plus 9 200 GB harddisk in my pc. Its connected to
    the Promise ATA133-controller, this is what I see when starting the pc:

    MBU Ultra (PDC20276) (tm) BIOS version 2.20.1020.13
    (c) Promise Technology Inc. All right reserver

    00 Maxtor 6Y200P0 LBA 189GB Ultra DMA6
    01 Not detected
    02 Not detected
    03 Not detected

    IDE Bus Master Enabled

    But I cannot install XP. It says that there is no storagedevice detected.

    How can I have this harddisk work with the XP installation?

    thanxs TNT2003

    TNT2003, Oct 18, 2003

  2. TNT2003

    Stevo Guest

    Is the Promise controller the RAID system on the motherboard or is it an add
    on card? Even as an embedded port you need to consider it as an add on to
    the normal primary and secondary IDE ports unless there is an option in you
    (unkown) BIOS to change assignments/

    OK, think about this - you have the new 120Gb drive connected to an add on
    card - which are the 3rd and 4th IDE ports for the machine.. so for a
    normal install of XP it doesn't even know ttheose additional ports are there
    because a device driver is required for XP to see them.. and also, XP needs
    to install to a bootable HD which the Promise card may not present any
    connected devices as, because it is a tertiaty/quaternary port device by
    default..

    In the process of doing the install of XP you will be prompted to install
    other devices/hard disks.. at this stage you need to install the drivers
    for the Promise card/controller, and from there you should be OK.. but you
    might need to put the drivers on a floppy (despite a lot of peoples views,
    there is still some use for floppies) so it is easy to get to the required
    drivers. I am not sure you will be able to install XP to devices attached to
    the Promise card even then.

    Another option is to connect the drive to the primary port, do the XP
    install and then add the Promise card.. once you have XP working, shut down
    and connect the drive to the Promise card. But this might not work if you
    cannot set the system to boot from the promise IDE ports.

    If you have no other drives connected to the IDE ports on the motherboard
    (primary/secondary) then just disable those and the Promise card will most
    likely take over those port assignments, or you will be able to set them
    that way.

    Stevo, Oct 18, 2003

  3. TNT2003

    HamMan Guest

    Right at to start of the XP setup it asks you 'presss x if you need to
    install third party SCSI or RAID drivers'

    HamMan, Oct 18, 2003