    I always use the customers own serial number from their sticker.

    thanks.
    me

    Guest, Oct 29, 2005

  2. Guest

    why? Guest

    You just solved your problem on one respect, using Ghost.

    The other bigger issue is different hardware.

    It could also be a Ghost image of a bootable working system, allowing
    for hardware changes you might be able to boot a 90% common image and
    add other drivers after.

    After you build each PC, before the user gets it, make a Ghost of it
    working. If you then need to rebuild the same PC it's faster.
    See the MS site, or any of the many tutorials for

    windows xp unattended setup

    You can have a base setup XP CD and keep custom install files for each
    system for the video, modem etc differences.
    Me

    why?, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    thanks.

    i think i will format a drive and begin an xp install, after the disk
    format and the file copy.. just as the graphical setup is about to begin I
    will switch off the pc and take a ghost image of the drive and put that on a
    bootable CD with a copy of ghost.exe

    I can also include some unattended settings on the CD

    that way I can at least be half an hour through the XP install in about 5
    minutes.

    good one old chap..sounds like a little messing round up front to save alot
    of messing round over and over every week... i should have done this ages
    ago!

    me.

    Guest, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Guest

    why? Guest

    Please include some of the message you are replying to.
    Don't think I would try to switch off just then in case some file /
    setup was done. Although I have heard that does work.

    The normal way with the unattended setup is

    Build the install folder with the i386 and additional driver folder(s)
    like 10 NICs, 10 video drivers , modem and sound as needed, all of which
    can burned to CD as is. Then develop the unattended script, finally burn
    the whole lot to cd.

    It still helps here if the PCs have a floppy, you can setup 1 PC as an
    install test and if something doesn't quite work, edit the script on the
    floppy in a 2nd PC, put it back in the test PC and reboot. Makes things
    easier.

    You can setup a simple menu to pick custom hardware
    for each PC, or IIRC for the video, nic etc you simply point to the CD
    folders from the booted system, via the gui as normal it's a bit more of
    a manual setup that way.

    Saying that I have only used unattended on batches of all the exact same
    hardware but it should help you.
    It does and yes :)
    Me

    why?, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Guest

    Plato Guest

    Annoying, isn't it. Takes so darn long and all the while you're hoping
    an error doesn't pop up.

    Plato, Oct 30, 2005