XP Home, XP Pro x64 Dual Boot single SATA drive

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by PaulTMaack, Dec 1, 2007.

  1. PaulTMaack

    PaulTMaack Guest

    I had Home installed, and i installed pro 64, and i can get it to boot into
    home, but when i try to boot into 64, it gives me that ntoskrnl.exe error
    everyone knows about. i checked the boot.ini, and it said both boot paths
    were cool, but i changed the x64 boot path to scsi(0) instead of multi(0) for
    a second, saved it, and checked boot paths again. it said neither of them
    were valid now, so i changed it back, and checked. it said neither were valid.

    At this point, i figured i was screwed, so i just restarted the computer,
    and was able to log into 64 (yay) but then i updated to SP2, and restarted,
    and again i get the ntoskrnl.exe error. any ideas what i should do?

    I have WinXPHESP2 installed on first partition, and WinXPProx64 installed on
    second partition. my boot.ini looks like this:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows X64"
    /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

    and it's on the first partition (the xp home).

    What am i doing wrong?

    PaulTMaack, Dec 1, 2007

  2. When you installed SP2, I suspect it overwrote critical files in the boot.
    See http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx. You'll
    want to follow the steps I give for what to do when they're in the wrong
    order.

    One thing you do NOT want to do is muck around with boot.ini. If you need to
    change boot.ini, you'll want to let the bootcfg do the dirty work.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 1, 2007