XP Home VPN/Remote Desktop Will Not Connect

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi, a friend is using a PC w/ XP Home, Comcast Internet connection, Cisco
    VPN Client, Real Secure Desktop Protector firewall and AVG virus detection
    software. She routinely connected to the company's remote server. About
    three weeks ago the PC lost its ability connect to the remote. server.
    Today, while at work, I had her log onto a PC at work, then using a Cisco
    VPN client and Remote Desktop she was able to connect to the remote server
    w/o difficulty.

    On her home PC the Cisco VPN Client works as it should but Remote Desktop
    will not connect to the remote server.
    It times out w/ a generic message stating check remote desktop settings.
    Remote Desktop settings appear to be the same
    as those that work on other PCs. She reports the problem began about three
    weeks ago.
    After reviewing the AVG virus log I noticed the Trojan popinslite.exe
    (trojan horse downloader generic?.oxz.
    was deleted on 10/01/03. I updated Spybot and ran it which deleted five
    other Trojans but I don't have the names with me.

    Any idea how I can diagnose the Remote Desktop problem and fix it?

    Thanks,

    Mike.

    Mike, Oct 24, 2006

  2. Run these online virus scanners make sure the computer is clean.

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

    Also try Kaspersky, but it only locates viruses.
    You'll have to look through log and delete them manually.

    http://usa.kaspersky.com/services/free-virus-scanner.php

    Could have been something a virus has done to screw up the settings.
    Maybe a firewall causing problem too.

    Check these sites for help with settings.

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Using-Remote-Desktop-Windows-XP-Pro.html
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/enableremote.mspx

    Kevin McCormick, Oct 24, 2006

  3. why not give the help desk at her company a call.

    i know that where i work, if the intrusion detection software detects
    virus/spyware on your machine the company will deny a connection to the
    work servers. another thing to check for is if any p2p software is
    running when connecting, again, if it is, the company software denies
    the connection here.

    i think her companies help desk is the best place to start with
    resolving the issue.

    bob b.

    bob brozewicz, Oct 24, 2006
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    My gut tells me it was caused by spyware or malware or a virus. I add an
    exception to the FW for Cisco VPN
    but have had to for RDP. Today while reading MD RDP documents I ran across
    something suggesting an exception
    for RDP. I revisit it tomorrow. I didn't think to run treandmicro online
    scan last night. Usually, the first things I do is run spy bot, adaware and
    housecall.
    Thanks for useful links.

    Mike, Oct 25, 2006
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I am the remote desktop help desk. Last week she spent hours w/ the
    national help desk and even more
    w/ the local help desk and when I returned to work she contacted me.

    Mike, Oct 25, 2006