XP Home to XP Pro hack -- anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian, Jun 11, 2005.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    From http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/howto-change-windows-xp-home-to-windows-xp-pro-105486.php :

    "yes indeed, you can't change an installed Windows but only your Installation CD
    (or even a recovery CD in case the manufacturer had not left out important parts)

    Here's the detailed breakdown you asked for.

    1. Copy the root directory and the i386 directory of the WindowsXP CD
    to your harddisk
    2. Extract the Bootsector of your WindowsXP CD
    3. Change 2 Bytes in i386\Setupreg.hiv :
    a) Open Regedit
    b) Highlight HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    c) Menu: File -> Load Structure -> i386\Setupreg.hiv
    d) Assign an arbitrary name to the imported structure e.g. "Homekey"
    e) Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Homekey\ControlSet001\Services\setupdd
    f) edit the binary key "default" and change "01" to "00" and "02" to
    "00"
    g) Highlight "Homekey" and select menu: File -> unload structure
    4. Burn your new XP Pro CD
    5. Install WindowsXP as usual. Your XP Home Key will work.

    Note: You cannot apply SP2 to such a WindowsXP Pro, so step 1.b)
    might be to integrate SP2 in your Installation CD

    Please check the menu-entries as I don't owe an English copy of
    XP and have to guess them."

    Brian, Jun 11, 2005

  2. The Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installation CD
    consists of 556MB files. Windows XP Professional with
    SP2 consists of 579MB of files. Making those hacks is
    not going to make up for the 23MB of additional required files
    required for XP Pro!

    Also, it is an illegal to "reverse engineer" the Windows XP
    operating system. Chances are it will not activate and may
    cause the forfeiture/termination of your Windows XP license.

    From the EULA:

    4. LIMITATIONS ON REVERSE ENGINEERING,
    DECOMPILATION, AND DISASSEMBLY.
    You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the
    Software, except and only to the extent that such activity
    is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding
    this limitation.

    15. TERMINATION.
    Without prejudice to any other rights, Microsoft may
    terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms
    and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must
    destroy all copies of the Software and all of its
    component parts.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    :

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jun 11, 2005

  3. Ignore Carey Frisch, he isn't a real MPV. He even misspelled it as "MVP" !
    Furthermore, he also poasted your original poast in his sig, which makes him
    even more suspicious. I personally think he is a troll.

    As an answer to your question: Yes, it will work. Don't forget to download
    and install Service Pak 2 after the hack.

    HTH and HAND.

    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Brian

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Wesley Vogel, Jun 11, 2005
  5. Frank DeLucca = Phoney

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jun 11, 2005
  6. Brian

    John Holmes Guest

    Frank is the only *real* MPV in this group, unlike you. Frank also has
    great knowledge of Windows XP and is a valuable support engineer, providing
    lots of help here. Just what are your contributions to the group?

    John Holmes, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Brian

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Jun 11, 2005
  8. Brian

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In

    Wesley Vogel, Jun 11, 2005
  9. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Actually, modifying a few bytes is not reverse-engineering, decompiling,
    or disassembling the software in any way. It's just editing existing
    code. The EULA should specifically state that editing is forbidden,
    but it doesn't... :)

    Brian, Jun 12, 2005
  10. Interesting...
    Barring the implications with the EULA, etc - very interesting.
    Almost interesting enough to test, just to see.

    Come on people, you know your curiosity is tweaked as well... Don't lie.
    The subject of this post is misleading, however. The actual claim is:

    Free Upgrade From XP Home to XP Pro Lite
    '... many of the features of Windows XP Pro, such as Remote Desktop and
    user management, can be enabled in Windows XP Home simply by changing two
    bytes in an installation data file ...'

    So not XP Home to a full fledged XP Professional.
    Somehow I doubt the changes dictated would enable even the simplest of XP
    Professional functions - but I have been wrong before..
    (That time I thought I was wrong.. But it turned out I was right.. So I was
    wrong about being wrong. *grin* Yeah.. uh huh)

    Shenan Stanley, Jun 14, 2005