XP - FTP.EXE does not exist, cannot copy

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve Freides, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. I have a weird situation on my machine - I simply cannot create a file
    called ftp.exe, even on mapped network drive. When I type

    c:\> ftp

    I get

    'ftp' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

    I managed to copy ftp2.exe from another machine, just a renamed version
    of ftp.exe. If I

    COPY ftp2.exe ftp.exe

    it says "1 file copied" but still doesn't find ftp.exe and ftp.exe
    doesn't exist. Weirdly, as I'm typing this message into Outlook Express
    (XP/Pro/SP2), ftp.exe keeps getting underlined as if it's a link.

    Any idea what's going on here? My virus definitions are current, a
    virus scan reveals absolutely nothing, Spybot 1.3 is current and finds
    nothing, SpywareBlaster is current and finds nothing.

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Feb 14, 2006

  2. Steve Freides

    Spuds Guest

    You likely have ftp.exe, but more than likely c:\Windows\System32 isn't in
    your PATH setting. In addition, wherever you copied the replacement ftp.exe
    is also not in your PATH setting.

    You can either add it (control panel -> system -> adavanced -> Environment
    Variables), or just use the Windows Search to find it, then double click on
    it.

    Spuds, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Steve Freides

    old jon Guest

    Have a look in your Windows\system32 folder you should have ftp.exe.
    It`s the File Transfer Program that works in the command interface.
    (ie. Start\Run type in cmd and hit return. Then use FTP.)
    Check Help FTP.

    old jon, Feb 14, 2006
  4. No, it is not. Version 1.4 was released quite some time ago, and your
    old 1.3 is not updating. That's how Spybot S&D works.

    Download 1.4 and save it.
    Uninstall 1.3
    Install 1.4 then go online and get data updates.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 14, 2006
  5. Which machine, which OS? More likely, which windows version and servicepack?
    Maybe your PATH is faulty. You can check under cmd/command and edit it under
    orkplace/properties/advanced/system variables or something alike. Take a
    good look, sometimes a missing or inappropriate delimiter can mess it up.
    Some installs are known to not add themselves to the system path, but
    instead replace it.
    In C:\?
    Run a sfc /scannow with the windows cd inserted, after verifying PATH is
    correct.

    Walter Mautner, Feb 14, 2006
  6. I didn't mean my version was the latest. You are incorrect about the
    updating - I continue to check for updates to 1.3 and get them, install
    them, and they add several items to the immunization list.
    SpywareBlaster, OTOH, says a new version is required when one is and
    refuses to update the old.

    Steve Freides, Feb 14, 2006
  7. This is why I posted my message. I'm well aware of what ftp.exe is -
    please reread my message.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Feb 14, 2006
  8. I have DL'ed and installed 1.4 - I will report back on what, if
    anything, it finds.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Feb 14, 2006
  9. Folks, y'all are missing the point. I know where ftp.exe is supposed to
    live on this system, and c:\windows\system32 is on my path. If I try to
    create ftp.exe anywhere, it disappears. I believe this is some kind of
    virus. I can change to c:\windows\system32 and type "ftp" and it
    doesn't work because it isn't there. I can, on a mapped network drive,
    copy ftp2.exe to ftp.exe, it will say 1 file copied, and then it won't
    be there. It's pretty strange.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Feb 14, 2006
  10. 1.4 finds the same nothing 1.3 did. I get 4 entries, all Windows
    Security Center things because I have turned them off. Nothing else.

    This is still a great mystery to me.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Feb 14, 2006
  11. Current usually means latest. At least as people post to Usenet. How was
    I to assume you knew there was a 1.4?

    Besides, the program itself changed because of new-style threats.
    You must have a special 1.3 then. My 1.3 quit updating when 1.4 was
    released. Are you manually downloading files somewhere and manually
    installing, rather than using the "Check for Updates" button?
    Don't use that one here.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 14, 2006
  12. By "current" I simply meant that I had looked for, found, and installed
    available updates.
    I assumed that, so I installed 1.4. Thank you for pointing it out to me.
    I assumed 1.3 would tell me when it was time to stop using it and
    upgrade to a newer version. It did not, even as of a few hours ago. I
    did the same thing - inside the program, check for updates, download,
    and install. The only non-default thing I did was choose a different
    server to DL the updates from. I used See-Cure Europe #2. (That's from
    memory, not sure if I got that quite right.) I used it only because it
    seemed to work better than the others for me - I'm in the US.
    Spyware Blaster is the program Spybot recommend also installing, at
    least Spybot 1.3 made this recommendation. I've always used both.

    I'm still nowhere with figuring out this problem, though.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Feb 14, 2006
  13. Steve Freides wrote:
    Yes, I did sidetrack you, eh? :) The other responses about the file
    should help.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 14, 2006
  14. They do not - the problem remains, exactly as I described it, and it's
    really quite bizarre to me.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Feb 14, 2006
  15. Just in case no one believes me - you can't make this stuff up, I'm
    afraid.

    -S-

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>dir ftp.exe
    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is <xxx>

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

    File Not Found

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>copy ftp2.exe ftp.exe
    1 file(s) copied.

    Steve Freides, Feb 14, 2006
  16. Use a knoppix cd. It will be able to read ntfs, and with that one you should
    see the file. Someone probably fooled you with a rootkit (like that one
    from the SONY copy protection), and probably your ftp.exe once was actually
    a trojan server.
    Also you may try rootkit revealer from sysinternals.

    Walter Mautner, Feb 14, 2006
  17. Steve Freides

    Spuds Guest

    Not missing the point. Your post made no mention of the most obvious
    issue, ie, your path statement, hence the several tips on checking your path.

    Spuds, Feb 15, 2006