    Has anyone counted the number of devices in XP32 and XP64? Wonder what
    the result would be? Might just do that, and post the results to The
    Inquirer....

    Mark Gillespie, Jun 20, 2005

  2. Mark, you've seen the discussions here, so I don't know why you think that
    there is some sort of magic that makes drivers. Microsoft doesn't generally
    write drivers. The drivers that are provided "in the box" don't generally get
    written by MS, they're still dependent on the OEMs to do the drivers. And
    even when the are MS drivers (such as Intellipoint), it's a different
    organization entirely that does the drivers, and the Windows folks are in the
    same situation even to others inside MS -- they need the Intellipoint people
    to write the driver. Which is why it isn't "in the box".

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 20, 2005

  3. Mark Gillespie

    John Barnes Guest

    Microsoft does write some drivers as per the Chris Jones interview posted by
    Andre below. Unfortunately they don't provide much assistance on how to set
    up and use them for other than the specific hardware for which it is
    provided. ie the Canon BJC-8000. Works for lots of printers, but who knows
    how to set it up and especially port it to USB virtual printer ports.

    John Barnes, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Mark Gillespie

    Rick Guest

    It seems you didn't check out the info fully. My Epson scanner is also
    listed there, but when you follow the link for the driver it takes you
    to CNET download which states that the source of the driver is Epson
    America. Which means Microsoft did not write the driver for the
    scanner, Epson did.

    Rick, Jun 20, 2005
  5. Mark Gillespie

    John Barnes Guest

    As to intellipoint, who wants to use a mouse pointer that takes 30 seconds
    to move across the screen. FAST, FAST. Also miss 'click to'
    No extended keyboard for Intellitype is also a big negative.

    John Barnes, Jun 20, 2005
  6. Charlie Russel - MVP got up from the bar and shouted: :
    It's just that the excuse that manufacturers are spouting about it's
    new, only just out is wearing thin. ATi and NVidia managed to have
    drivers out a short way into the CPP programe.

    The same companies next year will be trying to sell me new hardware to
    work with Microsoft Littlehorn, and boasting about their new hardware
    being 64 bit ready blah blah blah...

    Don't these companies realise they can't shit on people and expect them
    to come back again and again?

    We all have out black lists of companies, i'm sure similar names crop up
    on many of them...

    Mark Gillespie, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005
  8. Mark Gillespie

    John Barnes Guest

    They have been saying that for over 2 months at least. That isn't near
    future to someone who started programming on an IBM System32 in the 1970's
    and may not make it to Microsoft's 'near future' :)

    John Barnes, Jun 20, 2005
  9. yes, they do. But mostly, they provide a _lot_ of help, assistance, guidance,
    support and even goodies if you're a serious driver developer.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 20, 2005
  10. Mark Gillespie

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    Well, we know pending means more than eight weeks, so near future probably
    means somewhat longer than eight weeks.

    Bill

    Bill Sharpe, Jun 20, 2005
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 20, 2005
  12. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] got up from the bar and shouted: :
    Well, my XP Tecg Advancement set was supposed to ship in the near
    future, that was 2 months ago now...

    Apparently Microsofts 2x CD burner packed up, and are hunting down a
    replacement in the skips ouside the back of Dell's factory in the luck
    they may be able to find a working one, and commence burning those
    upgrade disks....

    Mark Gillespie, Jun 20, 2005
  13. Mark Gillespie

    Rick Guest

    I honestly think you all are under some misconceptions. The drivers
    that Microsoft includes in the OS packages were originally written by
    the OEMs, but have the Microsoft signature on them when they are
    included in the OS package. Microsoft does not write the drivers for
    3rd party hardware, they just put their 'stamp of approval' on them when
    they are included in the published OS, or when they are part of a
    Windows update.

    Rick, Jun 21, 2005
  14. It has actually been at least since last October that this was brought up,
    and probably before that.

    It is time for someone to contact Bill Gates himself for an answer.

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 21, 2005
  15. Maybe they are using Easy CD Creator 5.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 21, 2005
  16. Mark Gillespie

    John Barnes Guest

    Read the article about the interview with Chris Jones,Microsoft Corporate
    Vice
    President, Windows Core Operating System Program Management , He is
    quoted as saying "Microsoft is doing a lot of the 64-bit drivers itself, and
    the user can use
    our generic driver until a company like ATI or NVIDIA comes out with their
    driver.
    Are you suggesting that he doesn't know what he is talking about?

    John Barnes, Jun 21, 2005
  17. Mark Gillespie

    James Park Guest

    As long as it goes out before my free trial download expires so I can do a
    repair install, I'm fine with it.

    James Park, Jun 21, 2005
  18. You do know that if you reinstall, after reformatting of course, you get
    another 120 days. :)

    Wayne

    Wayne Wastier, Jun 21, 2005
  19. My understanding is in line with that, John. Some drivers were ported inhouse
    to provide a "seed" of basic driver support. Probably with the OEMs driver
    person sitting at the same console, but not necessarily.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 21, 2005
  20. Mark Gillespie

    Rick Guest

    I would agree that Microsoft ported some existing 32 bit drivers to 64 bit.

    Rick, Jun 21, 2005