    on the system by Toshiba. I have the 'Windows Authentication" sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the CD Key code. However Toshiba says they cannot send me the Original WIN XP Home CD version.
    I have tried to use a different WIN XP CD but it this system does not recognize the CD, then loops back to the error message. I tried "safe mode" and no luck. It seems the system only wants to recognize only the particular Win XP CD on my PC (?) If I buy a new version will I wipe all the huge volume of data on my PC ?

    .... any suggestions GREATLY APPRECIATED ... Pat Martin

    Guest, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Guest

    nerd32768 Guest

    the bottom of the laptop with the CD Key code. However Toshiba says they
    cannot send me the Original WIN XP Home CD version.
    recognize the CD, then loops back to the error message. I tried "safe mode"
    and no luck. It seems the system only wants to recognize only the particular
    Win XP CD on my PC (?) If I buy a new version will I wipe all the huge
    volume of data on my PC ?
    Yo need to take another computer, go to NTBACKUP.exe, make some ERDs, stick
    them in yo laptop's floppy drive, boot into Windows, make a backup,
    reinstall windows, restore the files!

    Got it?

    GOOD.

    Next time post questions like that in "microsoft.public.win2000.general" not
    here. This is "Certification Stuff for Microsoft Certified Systems
    Engineers", hence the newsgroup "microsoft.public.CERT.EXAM.MCSE"

    Good luck,
    Nerd32768
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

    nerd32768, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Guest

    Neil Guest

    did Toshiba not include a restore CD? I have been a bit out of the loop in
    the Tosh laptops (since I left the VAR)but Toshiba should be able to
    provide you with some form of system restore...

    Neil, Jun 12, 2004
  4. circa Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:45:12 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Neil ()
    said,
    They, like all OEMs, do. However, those CDs are generally hard-coded
    to do a wipe-and-install via unattended answer files embedded on the
    CD. From the sounds of it, the OP doesn't want to lose his data.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Jun 12, 2004
  5. Guest

    Neil Guest

    but IIRC some have a safe recovery. otherwise he's hosed (parralel install
    with non-supported drivers to salvage what he can?)

    Neil, Jun 12, 2004
  6. You have another copy in the \windows\repair folder. You may be able to copy it over
    to the other folder by pulling out the hardrive and slaving it in another computer
    running W2K/XP Pro. Computer Geeks and others sell kits for less than ten dollars
    that allow you to connect a laptop drive to a desktop computer. Too bad the other
    disk did not work as it could be an easy repair using Recovery Console. I suggest
    you buy something like Norton SystemWorks Professional. New Egg has it for like $19
    shipped for OEM [you may have to but a $3 mouse] because it includes Ghost that works
    great for backing up ntfs/fat32 and you can reinstall image from a bootable cdrom.---
    Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Jun 12, 2004
  7. Guest

    nerd32768 Guest

    New Egg has it for like $19
    bootable cdrom.---

    NEWEGG.COM ROCKS they are about the only palce I ever buy my computer stuff
    DO NOT HESITATE TO GO WITH NEWEGG

    01001110 01000101 01010111 01000101 01000111 01000111 00100000 01010010
    01001111 01000011 01001011 01010011
    (binary conversion for newegg rocks)

    nerd32768, Jun 12, 2004
  8. Guest

    JaR Guest

    I had an HP that came as you describe. I went 'round & 'round with Carly's
    lackeys over the install CD, too. Finally one of their hell-desk droids
    let slip that they would send a CD only if you needed to repartition the
    drive for some reason. I said fine, I need to repartition the drive, and
    go figure, they sent the CD. I had to pay ten bucks for shipping.

    As far as the problem itself, try this:

    http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=2004

    Good luck.

    JaR
    MCNGP #22

    JaR, Jun 13, 2004
  9. Guest

    kpg Guest

    01001110 01000101 01010111 01000101 01000111 01000111 00100000 01010010
    Wow, you are a nerd.

    kpg

    kpg, Jun 14, 2004
  10. Guest

    Spyke Guest

    Actually that is the ASCII binary conversion for NEWEGG ROCKS. Here is the
    EBCDIC conversion for the same thing :)

    11010101 11000101 11100110 11000101 11000111 11000111 01000000 11011001
    11010110 11000011 11010010 11100010

    Spyke, Jun 14, 2004
  11. Guest

    conner172 Guest

    Wrong newsgroup.

    But the AS/400 (iSeries) IS the best [email protected] midrange computer. Period.

    conner172, Jun 14, 2004
  12. Guest

    Spyke Guest

    I preferred the S/36 in the midrange just for sheer size and weight :)

    Spyke, Jun 14, 2004
  13. Guest

    Neil Guest

    got one in the basement?

    Neil, Jun 14, 2004
  14. Guest

    Spyke Guest

    No, but I wish I did. That was a fun system to do programming on and as
    solid as a rock.

    Spyke, Jun 14, 2004
  15. Guest

    Neil Guest

    weight of a mountain...

    Neil, Jun 14, 2004
  16. circa Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:34:08 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Neil ()
    said,
    That "safe recovery" is a reformat/reinstall.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Jun 14, 2004
  17. That "safe recovery" is a reformat/reinstall.

    lol

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jun 14, 2004
  18. Guest

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    *head explodes*

    Ken Briscoe, Jun 15, 2004
  19. Guest

    Neil Guest

    :)

    I do recall one that would overwrite teh windows directory and you would
    wind up with a fresh registry without reformating the drive. 'couse your
    way is "safer"...
    ;)

    Neil, Jun 15, 2004
  20. Guest

    Neil Guest

    actually doesn't sound too off the mark...

    Neil, Jun 15, 2004