XP computer doesn't see Vista computer on network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ernie Lane, Jul 22, 2008.

  1. Ernie Lane

    Ernie Lane Guest

    I have a home wireless network, a "standard" one: the router is attached to
    a desktop (XP) and I have a laptop (Vista) that is wireless. I print using
    printer sharing on the desktop, so I know the laptop "sees" the desktop, at
    least for that (or is it that the laptop sees the desktop?). That's
    confirmed in Network -- on the laptop, I see the deskrop's Documents
    ,Shared Documents and Printers. However, it doesn't work in the other
    direction: nothing on the laptop, not even the laptop itself, shows up.
    However, if I click on "view workgroup computers" in Start...My Network
    Places on the desktop, the laptop computer is listed. However, if I
    double-click on that icon, I get only the Printers and Public folders.

    I've already installed the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder,
    or at least I thought I did. I went through the MS KB document (KB922120),
    but when I ran services.msc on the desktop, it wasn't running. Besides, I'm
    not sure that service does what I want.

    I've enabled file sharing, to allow all computers on the network to write to
    the Shared Documents folder. However, when I try to save a document there
    (from my laptop), it won't let me.

    Any suggestions?

    Ernie Lane, Jul 22, 2008

  2. It could be a 3rd party security software issue. Can you ping the laptop by
    IP?

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Jul 22, 2008

  3. Hi
    Make sure that the Sharing is configured correctly and use disk/directory
    mapping.
    What is Mapped Drive? http://www.ezlan.net/faq#map
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 23, 2008
  4. Ernie Lane

    Ernie Lane Guest

    How do I do that? I ran Start...run IPCONFIG, but I only got a DOS windows
    that flashed much to fast for me to read.

    Ernie Lane, Jul 27, 2008
  5. Start, Run, CMD. Then run IPCONFIG in the resultant window.

    Airman Thunderbird, Jul 27, 2008
  6. Ernie Lane

    Ernie Lane Guest

    Yes, I can.

    Ernie Lane, Aug 2, 2008
  7. Ernie Lane

    smlunatick Guest

    Check all / any anti-virus or firewall software. Some place limits
    on the "NetBIOS name resolution" (blocks it completely) because this
    is a method that most Internet worm style virus can exploit. So you
    can not find the PC by name (ie: \\VistaPC) but you may be able to
    find it by IP (ie: \\192.168.0.1.)

    smlunatick, Aug 4, 2008