XP: Can't create new folder

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Terry Pinnell, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. This seems very strange. I'm in the My Computer folder
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

    which contains these folders:

    Application Data
    Desktop
    DRM
    Favorites
    SendTo
    Shared Documents
    Start Menu
    Templates

    and these files:
    NTUSER.DAT
    NTUSER.DAT.LOG

    When I try to add a new folder called 'Documents', I get the message
    "A file with the name you specified already exists." !

    Trying any other name is fine. But why is 'Documents' rejected, when
    there plainly is no such folder already?

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 4, 2005

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Eos Guest

    Try 'show all files'....'it's there alright!
    Eos.

    Eos, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Terry Pinnell

    °Mike° Guest

    The "Shared Documents" folder is actually a Shell Folder
    name for the ACTUAL folder called 'Documents', therefore
    'Documents' DOES already exist.

    °Mike°, Mar 4, 2005
  4. Thanks Mike. Intuitive? NOT!

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 5, 2005