Xp association with none-beaconed SSID

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Dec 9, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ok scenario;
    Cisco 1120b access point with a guest network and ssid, and a private
    none-beaconed ssid.

    Problem;
    WinXp is configured to associate only with Infrastructure networks, in the
    preferred networks part of the wireless lan config, the private network SSID
    is listed first, with the guest SSID second. On trying to connect to the wlan
    private network, Xp ignores the order of the preferred networks and
    immediately associates with the beaconed guest ssid. But what i need is the
    pc to associate with the private ssid and then i use a vpn client to connect
    - that is unless i am out of reach of the private ssid (a railway staion
    etc..), when i can associate with a public hotspot.

    Microsoft state that Xp follows the order of preferred networks in it's
    selection of network to attach to, but in my case it simply doesn't and plums
    for the beaconed ssid over the top of everything. The only way to associate
    with the private ssid is to configure wep on the guest ssid, hence i then
    can't associate with it.

    Any suggestions?

    Guest, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Steve Riley [MSFT], Dec 13, 2004