XP and Hard Disk clicks

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Norbert Dentressangle, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    Any thoughts on this problem below.

    Background. A colleague of mine has a PC running XP pro (sp1 and fully
    updated)

    He's got a 933 MHz processor
    Pentium 3 processor
    Maxtor 20gb hard disk

    After running the pc for a about an hour the hard disk makes a click click
    noise then goes into BSOD mode. On immediate re-start there's a message
    that says boot disk failure.

    However, if he waits for about an hour then it will come back on normally.

    He ghosted the hard drive over to another Maxtor 20Gb but it makes the same
    noise and does the same thing.

    He's monitored the temperature too and it goes up to about 42 centigrade.

    Has anyone come across anything similar or can suggest a way forward?

    TIA
    Steve

    Norbert Dentressangle, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Norbert Dentressangle

    ralph Guest

    Probably read errors. The clicks are the heads doing retries. Try
    running scan disk w/repair.

    ralph, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Thanks for this Ralph, I've passed it on to him.

    Norbert Dentressangle, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Norbert Dentressangle

    °Mike° Guest

    Back up your data right away, and go shopping for
    a new hard drive. Clicks are a sure sign that your
    drive is on it's last legs.

    °Mike°, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Norbert Dentressangle

    Rob K Guest

    Yes. In my case, the clicks I heard were the clicks of (HD) death.
    One way forward *I* would follow:
    - create a backup of all essential data,
    - go to the manufacturer's website and look for diagnostics software.

    Read this:
    http://tinyurl.com/ywfck

    HTH

    Rob K, Dec 30, 2003