Xnet broadband at dial-up speed for over 2 months now

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by blanking, May 18, 2007.

  1. blanking

    blanking Guest

    For over 2 months now I have been getting far slower performance than I did
    on old 56k dial-up, very annoyed but unless everyone starts complaining they
    won't do anything about it and nor will they acknowledge the problem as
    theirs. I find once I start a download I get broadband performance, the
    problem is in the initial connecting to a webpage etc... and everytime
    information is requested from the webpage, this is when I experience a big
    lag, typically 5-10 seconds but often a lot more and I have enough
    experience to know that it is not the fault of the websites in this case. It
    seems to me that xnet have more users making more requests for connections
    to webpages than they can handle, hence the delay while somebody else is
    getting their turn. In exact technical terms I can't explain exactly what
    their problem is but I know enough to know when the problem lies at the isp
    end of things, of course they will always pass the buck to the customer or
    telecom and wipe their hands of responsibility.
    Anyhow as long as people are not prepared to complain in their masses xnet
    and other isp's like them will just keep getting away with providing a
    substandard service, I don't think we are getting what we paid for here and
    wonder how they would not be breaking the fair trading act with regards to
    their service been fit for the purpose.
    Xnet have obviously taken on a lot of new customers in recent times and have
    not invested in their network to support the extra load put on it by more
    customers, I think I have been patient but it's been over 2 months now and
    things are only getting worse.

    blanking, May 18, 2007

  2. blanking

    blanking Guest

    Simply put they are breaching the fair trading act as their service is not
    fit for the purpose intended, why has nobody tested this?

    blanking, May 19, 2007

  3. blanking

    XPD Guest

    I know quite a few people using Xnet, and not one of them are having the
    problem you are....... theyre not on the same exchange or anything. You sure
    it isnt just your exchange/line thats having issues ?

    XPD, May 19, 2007
  4. blanking

    El Chippy Guest

    No, chances are its more likely to be DNS problems or spyware/malware from
    what you have described. Try checking your DNS setup. And add a another
    DNS server from another ISP if you know how to do this.
    Actually, xnet are one of the better ISPs for putting their hand up and
    saying "Our bad...sorry" in my experience. Not saying they are perfect,
    but i've dealt with worse.
    Doesn't seem to be a widespread Xnet problem. I'm with Xnet and NZ
    websites load instantly, most aussie ones also instantly. Some US sites
    have a slight delay, but unless you can make light move faster thru fibre
    that has to be expected.

    myers.com.au loaded in <1 secs
    sydney.com.au <2 secs
    exxon.com <2 secs
    gm.com and ford.com took a while to fully load, but the site design and
    the distance are to blame for that. First elements were loading with 2
    secs.

    None of these site are places i have visited before, so they wouldn't be
    cached on my machine.

    12:26:31.18>httptest www.walmart.com
    fetching www.walmart.com

    12:26:33.42>wget www.walmart.com
    --12:26:33-- http://www.walmart.com/
    => `index.html'
    Resolving www.walmart.com... 161.170.244.20
    Connecting to www.walmart.com|161.170.244.20|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200
    Length: unspecified [text/html]

    [ <=> ] 94,065 64.51K/s

    12:26:35 (64.39 KB/s) - `index.html' saved [94065]

    Done

    12:26:35.37>

    <2 secs to fetch 90KB from a US server isn't something I would consider
    bad. That gives roughly .5 sec to do a DNS lookup, initiate a TCP
    connection to the server, and request the object. With a ping time to the
    US west coast of around 200ms thats pretty respectable.

    El Chippy, May 19, 2007
  5. blanking

    EMB Guest

    Because the problem is quite possibly of your own making. My xnet
    connection happily downloads as ~3Mb/s and has done since the day I
    moved to them.

    EMB, May 19, 2007
  6. blanking

    blanking Guest

    No spyware/malware on my computer. So you are saying that there could be a
    problem with the xnet dns server? I will try another isp's dns server when i
    have finished downloading a large file i am in the middle of at the moment.
    Definitely not the case in my experience, you must have been lucky.
    Thanks, that helps to know that others are not experiencing this problem, I
    can't trust what xnet say because they always deny fault and make illogical
    arguments about why it could be my adsl modem even when i know beyond doubt
    the problem is not at my end, in most cases the problem gets fixed at some
    stage anyhow but in this case my problem has continued consistently for a
    long time.

    blanking, May 19, 2007
  7. blanking

    blanking Guest

    No chance and congratulations on the luck you have had with xnet.

    blanking, May 19, 2007
  8. blanking

    blanking Guest

    Thanks, that is handy to know. I had a brand new line put in from the street
    when I got broadband plus my constant good speed once downloading indicates
    to me it could not be a line problem.

    blanking, May 19, 2007
  9. blanking

    blanking Guest

    Thanks, I will give you some of my figures once my downloading completes.

    blanking, May 19, 2007
  10. blanking

    El Chippy Guest

    There could be, but i haven't noticed it. easy way to tell where the
    problem is would be to download wget from
    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/downlinks/wget.php
    and see if it is the DNS that is the problem.

    if you use it to open a website like www.xtra.co.nz you can tell if the
    dns is broken because it will hang for a while with this on the screen

    D:\software\Utilities\wget-1.10.2b>wget www.xtra.co.nz
    --15:55:36-- http://www.xtra.co.nz/
    => `index.html'
    Resolving www.xtra.co.nz...

    If the ip address (202.27.184.102) pops up quickly it is not a DNS
    problem. If it hangs there for a while DNS is the (first) problem.

    *****
    Resolving www.xtra.co.nz... 202.27.184.102
    Connecting to www.xtra.co.nz|202.27.184.102|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily
    Location: http://yahooxtra.co.nz [following]
    ******
    All of the above should happen in less <.5sec. if not take note of how
    long it spends at each stage.

    1st Stage: DNS "Resolving blah.blah.blah"
    2nd stage: Establishing TCP connection. "Connecting to
    blah.blah.blah|<IP Addy>:80"
    3rd stage is Http request and response.

    Post the info here and someone should be able to help you out. Also what
    sort of DSL modem/router are you using?

    www.xtra.co.nz is a good site to test becuase of all the redirects. It has
    to resolve 3 different IPs to load that page. www.xtra.co.nz ->
    yahooxtra.co.nz -> nz.yahoo.com.
    Buggy Modems etc aren't uncommon, in fact more and more these days the
    marketing/management people are pushing to release products before the
    engineering staff are happy with them. Quite a few recent cellphones
    for example have shipped with shite firmware and a "we'll fix it later"
    attitude.

    El Chippy, May 19, 2007
  11. blanking

    blanking Guest

    Will post the info when I get a chance to test, thanks for the help, it
    sounds promising that we may narrow the problem down. It's a pity though
    that we have to do the isp's work for them, there is no way that the problem
    is at my end or in anyway my responsibility but unless you do the work for
    them and tell them exactly where they have a problem they just give you the
    brush off.
    dlink 302g and it worked perfectly for months before I had this current
    problem, I have reason to believe that it is very unlikely that it is the
    modem, I'll have to ask you to just trust me on this one.

    blanking, May 19, 2007
  12. The problem has *every* appearance of being at your end.

    http://xnet.co.nz/support/

    Primary DNS: 58.28.4.2

    Secondary DNS: 58.28.6.2

    Getting your dns settings automatically using dhcp may well work too.

    Delete any other DNS servers in the list on your computer.

    You may need to make these settings in your modem/router as well as on your
    computer(s).

    Did you ever get that turntable going ? Perhaps that is xnet's fault too.

    Mark Robinson, May 19, 2007
  13. blanking

    blanking Guest

    Wow arn't you clever not, you tracked down my previous posts, you seem to
    get off on the fact that you can do this, I'm just glad there are still some
    people here with some brains, unfortuntely there are far too many people
    around like yourself who lack any comprehension of their own intellectual
    limitations.

    blanking, May 19, 2007
  14. blanking

    Gordon Guest

    The ball is not in the direction you are going, the person is.

    Gordon, May 19, 2007
  15. blanking

    blanking Guest

    Can you please tell me exactly what to type in after wget because typing in
    anything after wget results in windows saying it cannot find program.

    blanking, May 19, 2007
  16. blanking

    XPD Guest

    Have you got Wget installed ?

    XPD, May 19, 2007
  17. blanking

    Dave Taylor Guest

    This has been a problem since the marketing dept and software started
    talking.

    Dave Taylor, May 19, 2007
  18. blanking

    El Chippy Guest

    hmmm, you will need to be in the directory where it is installed. Or to
    fully specify the path to wget.

    other than that just wget www.blah.com

    El Chippy, May 19, 2007
  19. blanking

    El Chippy Guest

    So true, but back when users couldn't plug a device into a usb
    port/bluetooth and flash the firmware things had to be reasonably good
    before things went to market because the cost of recalling them and
    burning a new ROM was rediculous, these days its a case of "Does it work
    well enough for the faults not to show up till after the customer has paid
    for it?" yes? Ship it!!

    El Chippy, May 19, 2007
  20. I tracked down nothing. I simply recognised your style.

    Mark Robinson, May 19, 2007