    Thanks for the help.

    Joe

    --> Remove par from email address for replying

    golf, Jan 23, 2004

  2. I just downloaded Xn-view, and started trying it. It looks similiar
    Take the one that fits to your needs. It doesn't matter what most people
    prefer. IfranView has a long format list, is free, easy to handle and has a
    fast startup, but a awful thumbnail mode. If you need a useful thumbnail
    mode, have a look on CompuPic 6.22 - it is very flexible and extremely fast
    in thumbnail and view mode. You can move a 100 MB TIFF file in real time at
    100% view - amazing.

    Manfred Thaler, Jan 23, 2004

  3. golf

    Tore Lund Guest

    I prefer XnView, but, as Manfred says, it depends on your needs.

    And be aware that these are moving targets - they change over time. The
    latest version of IrfanView seems to have corrected some quirks that
    kept irritating me.

    There are things that neither program can do well, like rotate an image
    by 1 or 2 degrees. If you need a free program to do this sort of thing,
    have a look at ImageN. This is a maverick program with almost no
    documentation, but it contains many good functions. And the most
    professional freeware program for editing images might be PhotoControl,
    which is slow, but free and thorough.

    Tore Lund, Jan 23, 2004
  4. golf

    AArDvarK Guest

    Why both of course! And either one looks
    nothing like the other ...
    Alex

    AArDvarK, Jan 23, 2004
  5. golf

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have used both. Irfanview beats it in most functions. I seem to
    recall XNview going shareware....

    Ron Hunter, Jan 23, 2004
  6. golf

    Ron Hunter Guest

    And Compupic costs how much? NOT fair to compare a shareware program
    with a freeware one.
    What is wrong with the Irfanview thumbnail mode? I find it VERY fast,
    and quite flexible.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 23, 2004
  7. golf

    Dave Guest

    How about a program for quickly sorting thumbnails into different
    buckets and comparing different photos side by side?

    XnView seems to have a pretty flicker-free slideshow mode but how do I
    get it to read a slideshow text filelist?

    Dave, Jan 23, 2004
  8. golf

    AArDvarK Guest

    Yeah ... per your suggestion I tried it ... when I
    choose to browse the database and click to
    expand "My images" ... ImageN disappears.
    WinXP.

    AArDvarK, Jan 23, 2004
  9. golf

    AArDvarK Guest

    Xnview databases it's thumbnails. It's faster
    and it database's size is small at over 14mb
    for over 10,100 image files. It also has a
    more copeable windows GUI, excellent for
    free. But pertaining to features I think both
    programs are necassary, especially with
    Irfanview's Lanczos re-sizer.

    AArDvarK, Jan 23, 2004
  10. golf

    Tore Lund Guest

    I did say it was a maverick program...

    Tore Lund, Jan 23, 2004
  11. golf

    AArDvarK Guest

    ahh ... then you are correct.
    A.

    AArDvarK, Jan 23, 2004
  12. golf

    Hyun Guest

    My 2 cents. I prefer Irfanview. Been using it for over 2 years now
    and it keeps on getting better.

    Arthur Lee
    http://www.best-digital-photos.com/index1

    Hyun, Jan 23, 2004
  13. golf

    David Chien Guest

    Of the two Xn-view is my preference - most like ACDSee in terms of the
    layout and operation and keyboard shortcuts for next/prior image.

    However, still, ACDSee Classic (version 2.xx) is still, IMO, the best
    because it's faster in scrolling through full screen images in a
    directory (ACDSee will go as fast as they keys can be pressed - both X &
    I force you to wait until the full image is loaded before jumping to the
    next one), rotating JPEG images, and so forth.

    That said, ranking:
    1) ACDSee Classic
    2) Xn-view
    3) Irfanview

    David Chien, Jan 23, 2004
  14. golf

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I would put them in the reverse order, just reflecting different usage
    patterns, and needs.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 24, 2004
  15. golf

    Ol' Bab Guest

    Could only find one PhotoControl. It knows nothing about
    red-eye, selections, cropping, cloning, scratch removal, etc, etc.
    Just does (apparently) bang-up job on color balence, saturation,
    gamma. Hardly "thorough".

    Is there another app for editing images with same name? A URL
    would be nice!

    Ol' Bab

    Ol' Bab, Jan 24, 2004
  16. golf

    Dave Guest

    Meaning that you wish to rotate by fractional degrees? I've never done
    that. I've found IrfanView does small rotations to my satisfaction.
    Just use the effects browser. If you really want to look at a lot of
    Exif data or do flicker free slide shows then XnView seems better, but
    otherwise I greatly admire Irfanview.

    Dave, Jan 28, 2004