    alternative I can use, CompactFlash, SecureDigital, etc?

    Pattern-chaser

    "Who cares, wins"

    Pattern-chaser, Nov 26, 2004

  2. Pattern-chaser

    Harvey Guest

    Assuming they do - at the moment here in the UK prices are the lowest
    they've ever been - I'd be surprised if they drop much straight after
    Christmas
    Actually -according to
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/minolta/dimage_z3-review/index.shtml
    "The Z3 can use SD or MMC (MultiMediaCard) formats, though you'll want to
    use the former due to its superior capacity and performance. The camera does
    take advantage of high speed SD cards (you'll really notice the difference
    when the camera saves a sequence of shots to the card) and one is
    recommended for the high quality movie mode."

    SD cards are too expensive - a lot cheaper than XD's that's for sure,
    http://www.aria.co.uk/specials.asp?productid=15846 currently have a 1GB card
    for £52.82 inc.

    Harvey, Nov 26, 2004

  3. Pattern-chaser

    Harvey Guest

    Harvey, Nov 26, 2004
  4. So SD and xD are the same thing? Thanks, Harvey.

    Pattern-chaser

    "Who cares, wins"

    Pattern-chaser, Nov 26, 2004
  5. Pattern-chaser

    JohnR Guest

    No, xD is a different animal. Prices seem to vary more with xD. Shop around.
    John

    JohnR, Nov 26, 2004
  6. No, the Z3 uses SD cards which are widely available, and the price has been
    falling recently. The Olympus C770UZ uses xD cards. Note, if this is your
    first digital camera, you only need to buy enough cards to hold your images
    until you get back to the computer. Ie, unless you think you will get snap
    happy, you may only need one or two cards. If on the other hand, you think you
    will take lots of pictures then you will need multiple cards or some other
    storage device to copy cards to. I am in that second group, but not everybody
    is.

    Michael Meissner, Nov 26, 2004
  7. I plan to buy a Konica Minolta Dimage Z3 in the New Year, when the
    If the camera actually takes XD cards, yes, they're substantially more
    expensive than most others (and *way* more expensive than CF). I did manage
    to find an Olympus XD 512meg for $89 at Fry's, thank goodness. And they had
    a 1-day sale today for a 256meg for $35 after rebate. Prior to that, I was
    seeing $125 for a 256meg card, yikes!

    But if it takes SD (as another poster mentions), no worries. If you're not
    concerned about write speed, SD cards are getting dirt cheap, down in the
    range of CF (I'm seeing quite a few $35 prices, usually requiring rebates,
    for 512meg cards). Even the "fast" ones are coming down to around $60 for a
    512meg card. That's inexpensive enough that I wouldn't worry about it being
    a deal-killer on a camera, especially if you're unlikely to ever need more
    than two of them.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Nov 27, 2004