Xbox 360 Might Incorporate an HD-DVD Drive

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Guest, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    *Microsoft / Bill Gates is leaning towards the HD-DVD format

    * there is a *possibility* that Xbox 360 could have an HD-DVD drive, but the
    all important details are unknown.

    * even if Xbox 360 gets HD-DVD, that does not automatically mean games will
    use it.

    *If Xbox 360 comes with HD-DVD later down the road, and therefore, the first
    wave of Xbox 360's only have standard DVD, that *probably* means that
    HD-DVD is for movie playback only, not games.

    * Xbox 360 games would probably therefore only be on HD-DVD *IF* *ALL*
    Xbox 360s come with HD-DVD from the start.

    http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8591/Xbox-360-Might-Incorporate-HD-DVD-Drive/
    http://www.tinyurl.com/898p2
    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1893642260;fp;2;fpid;1
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nb20050628a2.htm

    did I miss anything ?

    Guest, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Guest

    Ron Mexico Guest

    What kind of logic is that?

    Ron Mexico, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Aaron J. Bossig, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Guest

    RichA Guest

    Wow! A HD-DVD drive in an Xbox. Now I can watch it on my $4000 HDTV!
    The wonder of the Xbox; All that capability, and the CHEAPEST
    electronics you can find. Audiophiles, beware.
    -Rich

    RichA, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Guest

    Ron Mexico Guest

    You can get an HDTV for less than $1000 nowadays.

    Ron Mexico, Jun 29, 2005
  6. Guest

    David Eckard Guest

    MS announced the XBox 360 before E3. That is because it is not JUST a
    gaming system. MS is after your livingroom, all of it.

    David Eckard, Jun 29, 2005
  7. Guest

    Xen0s* Guest

    " Got to talk to an old friend of mine from HS. Hes an AI programmer. He
    designed the orginal Splinter Cell's AI and the AI for Deus Ex 2 and Thief
    3. Bastard even had a level from Splinter Cell named after him. Long story
    short, hes currently working at Midway on next gen stuff. Hes got working
    specs and kits on both X360 and PS3. He says X360 will hold up just fine
    against PS3. It even edges it out in some categories. But all in all he says
    its gonna be extremely difficult to see a difference in the systems. ****He
    says the only thing that may bite Sony in the "graphical" ass is the lack of
    anti-aliasing.*** Other than that hes under strict "we will fire your ass if
    you talk" NDA about what hes working on so don't ask. "

    http://tinyurl.com/bgvyp

    (bench test with an g70 overclocked core and underclocked mem to match RSX)

    Far Cry 1280 1600
    senza niente 81.8 80.6
    AA4x 57.3 39.3
    HDR 47.2 31.9

    Spinter Cell 1280 1600
    senza niente 81.2 81.0
    AA4lx 77.2 62.1
    HDR 61.5 43.9

    31.9 fps and 43.9 fps with old-gen games....
    and seems that the nvidia chip is unable to use at same time AA and HDR as
    like xenos does (with no performance loss)

    <http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24466>

    Xen0s*, Jun 29, 2005
  8. Guest

    Ron Mexico Guest