  1. Well another of my mates now uses Xandros as his default desktop, he was
    previously a Mandrake/Redhat man, now he just loves Xandros... only took
    a week to get everything setup as he liked too.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axle Guest

    I had a weird problem with Xandros 3.0 with my TV tuner card being
    detected as the default soundcard.
    Its working now with a custom alsa entry, but I still don't know how to
    make the mixer control in the panel default to my soundcard.

    Axle, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mackin Guest

    I've been using Xandros 3.0 for about 3 weeks now and while I like it on the
    whole I'm seriously thinking of going back to Mandrake 10.1.

    Xandros has no default support for HT or multi processors. There is an
    experimental kernel available (which I have installed) but it has quite a
    few bugs. There is a however significant speed difference (faster) between
    this new kernel and the default one. I think it's pretty poor to be at
    version 3.0 and not fully support one of the most popular processors in
    most new computers, particularly as this is a distro you have to pay for.

    Also, Xandros' highly customised version of KDE 3.3.0 has removed some of
    the features I really liked and found most useful.

    To be fair however, this is a very nice polished distro that works well
    overall. The built-in support for Windows programs is nice too (but I
    don't use Windows software on my Linux boxes, I have an XP box for that). I
    also like that fact that most stuff "just works" out of the box. Perhaps
    when Xandros fully supports HT processors, I'll switch back.

    Mackin

    Mackin, Jan 25, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gurble Guest

    <troll>

    Interesting. Only took me a couple of hours to get my XP box setup as
    I like it....

    </troll>

    Gurble, Jan 25, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axle Guest

    I'm still working on mine, the sound volume icon keeps dissappearing
    from the taskbar, I have to reset it all the time.

    Axle, Jan 25, 2005
  6. nice troll, but <troll-escalation>this guy is a geek, everything must be
    tweaked to perfection, thats why he prefers Linux to
    Windows</troll-escalation>

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 25, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rider Guest

    LoL -- "only a week"

    Rider

    Rider, Jan 25, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    thing Guest

    Depends on the term customisation. Some Linux desktops can be so far
    customised you dont even recognise them as Linux.

    Though if it was taking me a week, I would make sure all the config
    files are backed up....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jan 26, 2005
  9. Like I said, he's a geek, he likes it very customised...

    This is his work PC, so it's not just being customised for a week, he's
    using it for work too :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 26, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    thing Guest

    yeah figured that. My RHAS3 (thin client) is still bog standard cant be
    bothered customising it....though doing something as part of the
    kickstart build process might be interesting.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jan 26, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    BrianM Guest

    Me too. I had it installed on another box and used it mainly for burning
    CD backups, but with the very excellent KIIIB now running in Mandrake 10,
    don't have a lot of use for it (Xandros) but as you say, it mostly works
    out of the box albeit a bit old-fashioned in places, and ideal as a
    dual-boot system.

    cheers
    Brian

    BrianM, Jan 26, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Peter Guest

    'cos that's all you can do with XP

    Peter, Jan 26, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mackin Guest

    Allistar successfullyyip>
    Yes I've heard some good things about Gentoo. I have a copy of Gentoo
    2004.2 so I might give it a go on my test box, at the moment I'm playing
    with Ubuntu.

    Mandrake 10.1 successfully detected my Prescott processor and installed the
    SMP kernel. It worked really well, until I reformatted and started my
    flirt with Xandros that is :)

    Mackin.

    Mackin, Jan 26, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Axle Guest

    I keep several 4MB partitions on my HD for OS experiments, at the moment
    theres xandros 3 , ubuntu, demudi, and sarge.
    I understand that the kernel image
    http://packages.debian.org/testing/base/kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686-smp is
    ht enabled.
    Changing kernels is just apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686-smp if
    you have your apt sources configured.
    my test box is an athlon so I haven't looked at this.

    Axle, Jan 26, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gurble Guest

    Yes and no. I can customise it as much as I want and need to. Whilst
    I'm sure if I put my mind to it and actually had spare time, I could
    do a little bit more customisation on a Linux desktop, but by the same
    token, I've yet to find anything I couldn't do with Windows, either
    out of the box, via registry hacks, or with additional apps.

    Don't worry, I was just trolling earlier - Linux geeks are easy
    pickings ;-). I'm a firm believer in using the best tool for the job,
    which to me means Windows on the desktop, domain controller, and file
    server, and *nix on the firewall and other servers (web, ftp etc).

    I'm a firm believer that Linux will continue to mature, and at some
    point be viable as a desktop replacement for the masses. However, I
    don't think it's at that stage yet, although Fedora/Red Hat is
    definately getting better. Oh course, half the reason for the wee
    troll was because of the attitude of a great many Linux geeks, part of
    which being that I'm sure I'm now going to get 10 "you're wrong, Linux
    is the *only* choice for the desktop. Choose freedom!" posts. Or maybe
    not, now, because I've just said that.

    Fact of the matter is that I don't want to spend a week customising my
    desktop. I just want it to work so that I can do my work, play my
    games, and do anything else I feel like doing.

    Whilst I could choose freedom, I prefer to choose compatibility and
    less headaches on the desktop, and that's Windows I'm afraid. I simply
    don't want to spend a week customising my desktop - I've got a hell of
    a lot better things to do with the very few spare hours I have in a
    week.

    2c

    Gurble, Jan 26, 2005
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    axel Guest

    Indeed :) mybad

    axel, Jan 26, 2005
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    <troll food>

    Can you customise XP as much as Linux?

    </troll food>

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jan 26, 2005
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    I was an avid Mandrake user (for a couple of years) but decided to swicth to
    Gentoo (the primary reason was Gentoo is easier to update, and "dependency
    hell" literally disappeared).

    Also rebuilding a new kernel (so include the HT optimisations for example)
    is a pience of cake (compared to with Mandrake, for some reason it was
    always difficult).

    Gentoo feels faster too.

    (This is not a flame, I would recommend Mandrake over most other Linux
    distros, it served me very well while I used it and would have little
    problems recommending it to others).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jan 26, 2005
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    4Mb? Surely that M should be a G.

    One complaint about Gentoo is that the / (or /tmp, depending how you set it
    up) needs to be considerable larger than it does in Mandrake because of all
    of the source files stored by the portage system (which you can prune, by
    the way).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jan 26, 2005
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gurble Guest

    Good point. However, honestly, and with the exception of
    OpenOffice.org, I honestly don't think the software available for
    Linux is as good as that available for Windows.

    eg. Name a good NZ financial package, payroll, and graphics program
    (GIMP is OK, but has nothing on Photoshop). And I don't mean "a"
    package in Linux, I mean a good, easy to use, professional package,
    even half as good as the Windows applications.
    More talking about compatibility of available software. Again, I'm
    comparing operating systems, not additional software (eg
    OpenOffice.org beats MS Office in most circumstances, IMO. We have
    both, and I use OOo about 10x as often as MS Office).

    Even gaming. Whilst, sure, many games eventually put out a Linux
    version, you can walk into any shop and grab an armfull of Windows
    games if you want to (not that I do).

    Gurble, Jan 27, 2005