x64 will not boot after installing latest MS AntiSpyware

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I received an update notification to inform me that a new build of MS
    AntiSpyware was available. I duly downloaded and installed it. The
    installation asked for a restart. After the restart, I got the following
    message informing me that the \CONFIG\SYSTEM file was missing or corrupt.

    I assume that this registry hive is damaged. My question is really to ask
    whether the AntiSpyware installation could have caused this corruption, or is
    it pure coincidence?

    Any help on recovering the registry without having to do a complete
    reinstall would be much appreciated. BTW, I have tried to boot from the CD
    and do a repair install, but I suspect that the boot.ini file might be
    damaged also.

    Many thanks

    Mark Hartt-Palmer

    Guest, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    You can fix your boot.ini from the recovery console on your Windows CD.
    Select option R and use bootcfg /help at the command prompt a
    bootcfg /list will show you what is there and you can select the option
    that you want

    John Barnes, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Guest

    Gary MCSE Guest

    I had the same problem and I used the recovery console. The fix was to run
    FIXMBR

    Gary MCSE, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Many thanks John / Gary. I'll certainly try these methods when I get home
    later! I've also printed off the knowledge base article 307545 (How to
    recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting),
    but I hope I won't need to refer to this if the other methods work.

    Guest, Jun 29, 2005
  5. Mark, could you also report this to the
    microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat and
    microsoft.private.security.spyware.general newsgroups, I'm sure the MSAS
    Team would love to hear about this. I recommend people do not do the
    automatic update or upgrade of MSAS, download it from the site, shutdown
    Microsoft AntiSpyware from the notification, uninstall, restart and install
    the new build, which is 614.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 29, 2005
  6. Guest

    M. Murcek Guest

    Interesting. I downloaded and installed the latest version of MS
    Anti-Spyware right after install of x64 Edition, and it was just fine.
    Maybe the upgrade behaves differently?

    M. Murcek, Jun 29, 2005
  7. There is also some issue upgrading from definitions 5725 to 5729, here is a
    fix for it:
    If you know what you are doing :')
    Follow this, all credits to user "Taxman":

    - Download Winzip or 7-Zip
    http://www.7-zip.org/

    Download these 3 files, right click-save to disk.
    Compressed files !

    http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcDeterminationData.gcz
    http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcThreatAuditScanData.gcz
    http://download.spynet.com/ASDefinitions/gcThreatAuditThreatData.gcz

    - Open the first downloaded file and extract it with your Zip tool .
    Do the same for the other.

    - Right click on MSAS icon and choose shutdown.

    - Copy/paste your extracted files to Program files / Microsoft
    Antispyware
    and choose to overwrite existing definition files.

    - Start MSAS again and make a "check for updates" if you have latest
    defs.

    - If you have time, perform a full system scan directly with all
    options checked.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 29, 2005
  8. hmmm. Not seeing an issue here...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 30, 2005
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Andre, I will report these to the relevant MS Newsgroups. I think that the
    startup problems could have been pure coincidence though. Thankfully, I
    managed to fex the problem fairly quickly, by:

    1. Booting from the x64 CD and going into the Recovery Console
    2. Changing the attributes of the ntldr and boot.ini files so that I could
    delete them
    3. Copying ntldr and ntdetect from the CD to my hard drive
    4. Doing a BootCfg / Rebuild.

    Many thanks for the help that was offered.

    Guest, Jun 30, 2005
  10. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 30, 2005
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005
  12. Guest

    Rick Guest

    I just installed the latest MS AntiSpyware, Beta version 1.0, and have
    not encountered any problems. I have also ran the AntiSpy scan with no
    problems.

    If you're having a problem, there must be something specific to your
    system. I don't think this is a general problem.

    Rick, Jul 1, 2005
  13. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005
  14. Guest

    Rick Guest

    It could be what? There were two possibilities.

    a. specific to his system

    or

    b. a general problem

    Rick, Jul 1, 2005
  15. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005