[X-post] VPN and NTP on Cisco routers.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by AM, May 26, 2005.

  1. AM

    AM Guest

    Hi all,

    I deployed several 837 where ntp clients have been working fine.
    But with one in particular there's no way for the client to be synchronized with the master. In particular below are
    output from status and ntp association:

    Clock is unsynchronized, stratum 16, no reference clock
    nominal freq is 250.0000 Hz, actual freq is 249.9998 Hz, precision is 2**20
    reference time is 00000000.00000000 (01:00:00.000 cet Mon Jan 1 1900)
    clock offset is 0.0000 msec, root delay is 0.00 msec
    root dispersion is 0.00 msec, peer dispersion is 0.00 msec

    address ref clock st when poll reach delay offset disp
    ~192.168.31.254 0.0.0.0 16 8 64 0 0.0 0.00 16000.
    * master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~ configured

    It is strange that client (IMHO) connects to the master but doesn't receive a reference clock.

    Any suggestion is really welcome.

    Alex.

    AM, May 26, 2005

  2. Hi Alex,
    Why do you think the client connected to the master? "reach 0" says it
    all, your little cisco did never manage to get a reply from your NTP
    server, so ...
    1. Can you ping your NTP server from the Cisco?
    2. Are there any restrictions configured on the NTP server? (show us
    your config file)
    Kind regards,
    Heiko

    MEINBERG Radio Clocks
    www.meinberg.de

    IRIG. Rackmount and desktop versions and PCI slot cards.

    Heiko Gerstung, May 26, 2005

  3. AM

    AM Guest

    I've enabled only udp 123 port on a firewall put in the middle between 837 and the server as for other 837 deployed.
    ntp clock-period 17179628
    ntp server 130.149.17.21
    ntp server 212.82.32.15
    ntp server 150.145.55.6

    I can add that

    1) setting a public ntp server on the client worked fine: it means the client was synchronized;
    2) other 837 connected to the ntp server via VPN have been working fine with the same firewall settings;

    Thanks,
    Alex.

    AM, May 26, 2005
  4. Alex,
    Sorry, no more ideas here, as far as I can see you are using a Cisco as
    your NTP server ("master"), therefore maybe the guys in the cisco groups
    can help...
    Sorry for not being able to help you out, good luck!

    Kind regards,
    Heiko

    Heiko Gerstung, May 27, 2005