    provider? One I configured an account the "Add" button is greyed out.
    Is X-Lite intensionally crippled differentiate against CounterPath's
    other software? Can version 2.0 still be downloaded?

    Georg Schwarz, Mar 8, 2008

  2. Georg Schwarz

    msg Guest

    Interesting; I see that I cannot add an account past the first one either.
    The PDF users' guide discusses a mandatory X-lite service account, which
    I never saw on any 3.0 install that I have done, and also a 'second'
    account for an unrelated provider. All discussions refer to two accounts
    which implies an upper limit. Without the mandatory account, it seems
    that one account is the limit.

    If you don't find V2.0 online, let me know off-usenet.

    Michael

    msg, Mar 9, 2008

  3. Georg Schwarz

    M.L. Guest

    Can X-Lite 3.0, unlike the previous version, only support one single
    X-Lite 3.0 only supports one SIP provider. You have to buy eyeBeam if
    you want more than one.

    M.L., Mar 10, 2008
  4. The YATE project, a Free/libre Open Source Software for telephoney
    engine/softswitch has made available quite a good server and client;
    particularly the Qt4 based client.

    One may add and, or configure as many providers as one needs, provided
    your machine is powerful enough to take care of the load.

    Please do have a look at http://YATE.null.ro/, even the
    http://yate.null.ro/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.Yate2 version 2.0.0 though a
    beta as yet, is also almost stable per my experience.

    Hope that helps,
    Cheers,

    Balwinder S Dheeman, Mar 10, 2008
  5. Georg Schwarz

    M.L. Guest

    Can X-Lite 3.0, unlike the previous version, only support one
    The interface looks ghastly.

    M.L., Mar 10, 2008
  6. Yes, it is, if that matters that much :) OTOH, the beauty of open source
    software is these can be improved, please ask/talk to the developers as
    to how you/one can contribute.

    The other options are: KPhone, SJPhone, Gizmo-Project and, or even
    X-Lite 3.0 running on the same machine but connected to YATE server;
    YATE if configured properly can/will take care of all the routing problems.

    Balwinder S Dheeman, Mar 11, 2008
  7. Please don't encourage, promote and, or use closed/propriety X-Lite etc;
    try, recommend and, or contribute the Free/Libre and Open Source
    Software instead.

    In yate client one can simultaneously login arbitrary number of
    providers, make and receive H.323, IAX and SIP calls directly to other
    people running such clients around or accessible to one's network.

    I have learned some cases where people are using the yate server and
    clients in heavily loaded production environments, e.g. call centers and
    geographically scattered enterprise offices.

    OTOH, I have managed to fix some problems in the yate-gtk2 and am making
    available the alpha release of binary packages for Debian and, or Ubuntu
    variants. All you need to do is, add the following line to your apt
    config file /etc/apt/sources.list:

    deb http://cto.homelinux.net/pub/debian/ testing main

    and then execute:

    # apt-get update
    # apt-get install yate-gtk2

    and, or

    # apt-get install yate-qt4

    Hope that helps!
    Cheers!

    Balwinder S Dheeman, Mar 28, 2008
  8. I tried the yate-gtk2 version from debian stable and got somewhat hard
    to understand reasons why I couldn't call SIP urls directly:

    <client/1:MILD> Call rejected error='noroute' reason='No route to call
    target' [0x81a2c68]

    And on a call via a SIP provider I got absolutely no audio. And could not
    find a way to configure audio.

    Koos

    Koos van den Hout, Mar 30, 2008
  9. You need to choose either a provider to which you are registered or
    protocol from drop-down lists. The later one to make direct calls and we
    need not add sip://, iax:// and, or other h323 protocol prefixes, just
    is sufficient.
    Try choosing one of OSS and, or ALSA module for Yate-gt2 and newer
    Yate-qt4, and see which one works better for your installation.
    Although, my machines are running on latest Linux kernel version
    2.6.24.4 with ALSA modules (OSS is considered obsolete these days), but
    the emulated OSS layer of ALSA works better in many a other applications
    including yate-clients.

    As for as configuration is concerned you may tweak around setting in the
    /etc/yate/yate-gtk2.conf or /etc/yate/yate-qt4.conf files
    respectively. All you need to do enable or disable loading of
    appropriate module in the [modules] section:

    -------- 8< --------
    [modules]
    ; Enable only one of these, as per your operating system
    alsachan.yate=false
    ;osschan.yate=false

    ; We need not enable the following, when in client mode
    extmodule.yate=false
    mysqldb.yate=false
    pgsqldb.yate=false

    ; Use following for debugging and, or tessting
    callgen.yate=false
    rmanager.yate=false

    FYI, I don't maintain the official yate packages, but anyone may freely
    download latest yate package from my personal repositories:

    Balwinder S Dheeman, Mar 30, 2008