    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . All my links are gone and I have
    an IE looking toolbar. What the hell has gone wrong here? Will deleting the
    Firefox browser and re-installing it fix this?

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 19, 2004

  2. Leroy Forrester

    First Last Guest

    test firefox with a new profile.

    First Last, Sep 19, 2004

  3. How do you do that? Before finding this newsgroup this morning and reading a
    few dozen posts, I was unaware there was any 'profile' associated with the
    browser. Thanks.

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 19, 2004
  4. Leroy Forrester

    First Last Guest

    First Last, Sep 19, 2004
  5. Leroy Forrester

    .brian. Guest

    In the RUN box type 'firefox --profilemanager'

    .brian., Sep 19, 2004
  6.
    Leroy Forrester, Sep 19, 2004
  7. Leroy Forrester

    First Last Guest

    i'm confused. are you trying to change your homepage? did you click
    tools, options, and general? do you still have your old profile?
    'cause i think i misunderstood your first post if all you're trying to
    do is change your homepage. if you can change your homepage that way,
    then you can delete your new profile unless you don't have copies of the
    files you moved in your old profile. you'll need those files in your
    old profile. you can also make mulitiple homepages by opening multiple
    tabs before clicking tools, options, etc. when you get to general, you
    can just click the first button. i'm sorry if i misunderstood you.

    First Last, Sep 19, 2004
  8.
    Leroy Forrester, Sep 19, 2004
  9. No I wasnt trying to change my homepage, it was changed for me. When I check
    under internet options it is still the same, but when I open my browser it
    takes me to that Mozilla page. As far as profiles go, I dont know anything
    about that.

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 19, 2004
  10. Leroy Forrester

    .brian. Guest

    Try creating a new profile. In the Start >> RUN box type: "firefox
    --profilemanager" (without the quotes). Then the Profile Manager will
    start. Create a new profile. Name it whatever you want. Try using
    Firefox with this new profile. See if you have the same problems. If
    you want to switch back to your old profile, run the profile manager
    again... but select your old profile.

    .brian., Sep 19, 2004
  11. Leroy Forrester

    WolfGang Guest

    Leroy,
    It sounds like you may have the problem similar to the one I have been
    having--except you didn't say whether Firefox still works or not as a
    Browzer.. When mine went to the Mozilla.org site as a change in homepage, it
    also lost the ability to open any webpages, including the Mozilla.org. All
    it will do is come up with the error: Alert: could not find (URL)...

    I thought I had ininstalled and deleted Mozilla from my PC. Come to find out
    just now that in Tracker3 (A Windows Explorer-type application) I found the
    Firefox was still in C;\Program Files and that the Name & Location box says
    "backdoor.hackarmy.gen". That is a worm--I've had it before. So you may be
    looking at something similar to that.

    So now I need to get rid of the worm and start over with Firefox I have two
    questions for somebody: Wouldn't uninstalling firefox and deleting the .zip
    file delete the Profile also?
    I have XP--what is the best version of Firefox for me?
    Thanks, Wolfgang

    WolfGang, Sep 20, 2004
  12. Actually, it looks like he should try creating a new profile.
    You should consider reporting the above information to one of the major
    virus companies... because the type of activity you described isn't
    listed anywhere (messing with the Firefox folder). Perhaps you have a
    new variant.
    The latest version.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=2Ebr=EFan=2E=22?=, Sep 20, 2004
  13. This is driving me nuts. I deleted everything Mozilla related from my comp,
    downloaded Firefox (again), ran the set-up and STILL all I get is THIS
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . If you look on this page there is
    no option for setting up a profile. In internet options I have yahoo.com set
    as my homepage but when I open my browser I get
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ . When I first started using
    Firefox a couple of months ago the set-up was easy as hell. Now it is just
    hell. I sure dont want to continue using IE, but for now it seems I am stuck
    with it.

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 22, 2004
  14. I don't know if this will work, but in the address bar type in
    about:config. Look for an entry called:

    startup.homepage_override_url

    double click on that and make your changes.

    Andreas

    Panjandrum -- http://www.bartleby.com/61/47/P0044700.html

    To contact me remove the NOSPAM

    Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum, Sep 22, 2004
  15. I did as you said and did not see that entry. I also did as Reg said in
    another thread and used jv16PowerTool to remove all releated registry
    entries and did a fresh download of Firefox. Still all I get is

    Leroy Forrester, Sep 22, 2004
  16. Leroy Forrester

    Moz Champion Guest

    Did you change the home page location in

    Firefox-->Preferenceces-->General

    Moz Champion, Sep 23, 2004
  17. Leroy Forrester, Sep 23, 2004
  18. Leroy Forrester

    Steve Block Guest

    Okay, you could try this. I looked through about:config and I've got
    browser.startup.homepage user set string http://uk.my.yahoo.com/
    browser.startup.homepage_override.1 default boolean false
    browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone user set string rv:1.7.3
    browser.startup.page default integer 1

    I don't know what the last two mean, but what do yours say, and if
    different, try changing them to my values maybe? I'm using FF PR1.0

    Steve Block, Sep 23, 2004
  19. Leroy Forrester

    Moz Champion Guest

    Never got that far?
    Thats the FIRST thing you should do!
    Regardless of a virus or trojan, if you have told the program to take
    you to that page in preferences, it will!

    Moz Champion, Sep 24, 2004