    How hard to convert an old latop lcd to accept external source???

    Thanks

    TEX

    TEX, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Impossible. They don't have standard connections inside. I think they often
    have some sort of LCD controller chip on the laptop motherboard.

    I saw some very small (might have been 12 inch or something...) LCDs going
    on Trademe a while ago. Maybe you should check it out?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Mar 1, 2004

  3. TEX

    lrollo Guest

    I have a small laptop that may suit your needs: it was previously
    owned by a serviceman to carry test data etc to client sites.

    Email me direct

    lrollo, Mar 1, 2004
  4. TEX

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Well, not impossible but near to it. It has been done but it's a hell of a
    lot easier and cheaper to go a different way.

    (Can't give you a URL but I once saw a site where a guy did it but said he'd
    never consider doing it again)

    ~misfit~, Mar 1, 2004
  5. TEX

    SNOman Guest

    What sort of sites are you talking about servicing?

    SNOman, Mar 2, 2004
  6. TEX

    TEX Guest

    Yeah not impossible but bloody hard. LCD input is via digital signals
    and every panel uses a different controller. SO will need to convert
    signal to digital and then convert scan rate. SOunds like a mission. Saw
    a site where someone built an Amiga 500 laptop :)

    TEX

    TEX, Mar 2, 2004
  7. It will be chaper, faster and more reliable to get a small LCD monitor and
    fit it into a flight case.

    Almost all old LCDs used some form of proprietary interfacing and almost
    all recent(*) ones use high speed serial connections. Neither of these are
    suitable candidates for connecting to standard analog VGA without a lot of
    jiggery-pokery.

    (*) About 1997 onwards

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Mar 3, 2004