WTD: ISP who uses white lists for email

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Guest, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am wondering when an ISP will grasp these facts:

    Spam is making email unuseable
    People have had a guts full of spam

    ISPs can make better money by NOT offering email, P2P, etc, the only
    traffic they allow will be HHTP based traffic.

    This means they do not have to cope with spam, piracy, etc (Yes I know
    you can do that too via HTTP but it is not where the traffic is). They
    actually reduce their need for servers down to DNS and Proxy, a
    substantial cost savings in hardware, and a much better use of bandwidth.

    The alternative is to offer email based on a customers white list at the
    ISPs servers, if you are not on the white list you can not contact
    people except using a web based form fill in. Personally I see that
    filtering out of spam becomes much easier as you filter in, and most
    people only have 20-30 email addresses

    So, is there an ISP who offers a whitelist for their email system, and
    NO I AM NOT INTERESTED IN DOING THE FILTERING AT MY END, AND NO I AM NOT
    INTERESTED IN YOU FAVOURITE ANTI SPAM SOFTWARE, AND NO I DO NOT CARE IT
    IS CHECKS THE HEADERS ON THE SERVER AND DELETES THEM BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD
    THEM. And yes, it was all meant to be in capitals.

    Guest, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Guest

    Harry Guest

    No it isn't.
    No I haven't. I never get any because I carefully
    control who gets my email address.
    They could make a lot of money by not having people
    like yourself as customers.
    Better still, lets get rid of HTTP too because of all those
    annoying pop-up windows.
    I'm not particularly interested in your annoying spam to
    this newsgroup either!

    Harry, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Guest

    whoisthis Guest

    latest estimates show that up to 80% of all email world wide is now spam.
    I have only ever used my xtra address for person email to family,
    fortunatly xtras spam filters are now removing the 20-30 spams a day
    for me.
    guess its like virgin no frills airlines, they are doing well so I guess
    a no frills ISP could do the same too. There are a lot of no frills
    products and services, I am surprised no one has tried it.
    pop-ups are easy to kill, just ticked one option on my Mac using Safari,
    best of all nothing gets downloaded to my machine.

    Huh, whats that about ? has this guy abused you somewhere ?

    whoisthis, Aug 5, 2004
  4. Guest

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    It's called a flamebait.

    Harry likes to argue :)

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 5, 2004
  5. Guest

    thing Guest

    Paradise generally seem to stop spam, Clear I believe offers an extra
    anti-spam service....however as a rule its your problem.

    ISPs are in a no win, ppl dont want to pay much and its time consuming
    to deal with individial accounts in terms of customisation, some ppl
    want spam stopped, others dont.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Aug 5, 2004
  6. Guest

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Start your own? Surely there are people who will pay for this business
    model? There is you as a customer already. People pay for delivered
    select wines, I bet they would pay for this too. :)

    Seriously, I am sure that Danita at http://www.caledonia.net/ would be
    able to sort you out a custom solution if you do not get an established
    company reply.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 5, 2004
  7. Guest

    whoisthis Guest

    Ahh... one of those..... explains it all I guess.

    whoisthis, Aug 5, 2004
  8. Guest

    Harry Guest

    But it isn't making email unusable.
    I wouldn't use xtra for email because they give you no option
    to disable their (intrusive) spam filters.
    If pop-ups are easy to kill then so is spam.

    The point is, one doesn't eliminate a protocol because of
    some misuse of it. There are plenty of businesses (no names)
    who would like to see email disappear so that they might introduce
    a paid-for service. They might even actively encourage weak
    security and lots of spam, hoping that some day their virtual
    monopoly position will secure some nice easy money.
    You don't get it do you? One person's spam is another person's email.
    Should we ban newsgroupos because some people spam them?
    And who is to determine what is spam?

    Harry, Aug 5, 2004
  9. Guest

    Harry Guest

    I think you missed the point completely.
    The op was complaining about spam (and wanting email
    abolished), yet what constitues spam can be fairly subjective.
    My opinion was that the op's post was spam. Therefore all
    newsgroups should be abolished ... etc etc.

    Get it now?

    Harry, Aug 5, 2004
  10. Guest

    MarkH Guest

    No, it’s not.

    Indeed they have.

    No they can’t.

    What a load of rubbish. Almost all traffic I use is HTTP (over 10GB per
    month) and E-Mail would be no more than a few meg a month.

    Use Hotmail.
    Exactly.

    IHUG also offer this service. By default they activate the virus filter
    and the spam filter is off. I used to get 100+ spam a day, so I used the
    online account settings to turn on spam filtering for my E-Mail. IHUG
    offer 4 levels of spam filtering, I chose the 2nd highest. I now only
    get 1 or 2 Spam per day and my message rules automatically delete them, I
    haven’t seen spam in my E-Mail at all over the past couple of weeks.

    2Day.com also offer Virus and Spam filtering on their E-Mail services.
    So does Orcon and Xtra. Most ISPs offer Spam filtering, this stops Spam
    from making E-Mail unusable. Does anyone know an ISP that does not offer
    spam filtering?

    If you want E-Mail from people on your white list only then you can use
    Hotmail, it’s free and you can use a whitelist.

    MarkH, Aug 5, 2004
  11. Guest

    whoisthis Guest

    yep, I see it now that you dont actually believe it as your post was
    spam too based on your own criteria and therefore you should not have
    posted it.

    whoisthis, Aug 5, 2004
  12. they why pay for an unused internet connection? :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 5, 2004
  13. he does not...

    /amusing myself with bad humour.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 5, 2004
  14. I often wonder who is getting this 80% of spam, I know I get ~30% but I
    used a real email addy on usenet for a while, so was asking for it really.
    are you sure about that?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 5, 2004