    M new to groups. Apologies if breaking with any conventions.

    Cheers,
    Michael

    MY5TMAN, Jan 11, 2006

  2. MY5TMAN

    Bob Williams Guest

    If you are relatively new to Photoshop, you would probably do well to
    purchase Photoshop Elements 4. It has almost everything that a novice
    would do with full PS.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jan 11, 2006

  3. MY5TMAN

    MY5TMAN Guest

    Ahhh... but Bob... ; ) I don't intend to waste too much time being a
    novice *grin*. I'm awfully impatient - occasionally.

    I've finally bitten the bullet and committed to my photography. Big $,
    but who cares. (Although a little feeler towards some cost-cutting
    never goes astray in my book.)

    Thanks for the tip tho. Have a copy of Elements 2 around somewhere, but
    can't find it for the life of me. I'd probably be a bit more patient if
    I could find it. So thought I might upgrade if someone out there came
    along for the ride.

    See you!

    MY5TMAN, Jan 11, 2006
  4. MY5TMAN

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I have Photoshop 7, and recently picked up Elements 2 as a bundled
    program with something. I played around with Elements 2 and found
    that the only feature lacking in that program for the routine
    adjustment of images is Curves. You can adjust a photo without Curves
    using Levels and some other steps, but I'm so used to Curves that I'm
    sticking with PS7.

    My suggestion is for the novice to stick to E2 and master it if all
    you are doing is photograph adjustment/manipulation for your own use.
    Otherwise, you're pay out a great deal of money for a number of
    features that you'll never use.

    E2 might be missing some other feature, but - if so - it's a feature
    that I haven't found a use for.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 11, 2006
  5. MY5TMAN

    Harry Limey Guest

    You could consider signing up with a local education authority for an
    evening course, I understand that via this means you can get the student
    version of PS if you prove you are a student!! (The student version is the
    full version, just cheaper - and the course would not go amiss either!)

    Harry Limey, Jan 11, 2006
  6. MY5TMAN

    Mike Hyndman Guest

    "Eligibility guidelines for Education pricing at the Adobe Education Store
    An individual can be eligible to acquire single copies of Adobe software
    products (for personal use, and not for further distribution or transfer) at
    Education pricing if he or she presents to the Adobe Education Store
    appropriate identification of current academic status as:
    A student enrolled in grades K-12 at an accredited public or private primary
    or secondary school providing full-time instruction.
    A full- or part-time student enrolled at an accredited higher education
    institution.
    A full- or part-time faculty or staff member employed by an accredited K-12
    or accredited higher education institution."

    HTH
    MH

    Mike Hyndman, Jan 11, 2006
  7. snip . .
    I can't help you with Photoshop but I see a brand new G450 dualhead for
    $29.92 {buyitnow} on ebay in Australia.

    Angus

    angusinalberta, Jan 11, 2006
  8. MY5TMAN

    MJW Guest

    Sorry to jump in on this thread. I have been using Paint Shop Pro 8 for
    a while now & upon reading this thread, have d/loaded a copy of GIMP. I
    can also get a copy of Photoshop Elements from Ebay for a reasonable
    price, but am wondering which program is best? I have a basic
    understanding of PSP, haven't put Gimp to the test yet, but PS Elements
    sounds like it has a lot of features I would use! All I really do at the
    moment is adjust colours etc on my digital shots.

    MJW, Jan 12, 2006
  9. MY5TMAN

    MY5TMAN Guest

    Cheers Angus. I'll speak to my computer guy to see if it'll integrate
    with the rest of the system and if it's fine, I'll put in a bid.
    Michael

    MY5TMAN, Jan 12, 2006
  10. MY5TMAN

    Tbird Guest

    There are other Academic sites that have the same requirements but are a bit
    cheaper also - Academic Superstore http://www.academicsuperstore.com is one
    of them and the Creative Suite is listed cheaper there than on the Adobe Ed.
    Store.

    Tbird

    Tbird, Jan 12, 2006
  11. MY5TMAN

    kosh Guest

    have heard gimp os great... .but not from a photographer yet... let us
    know. I have the install file... but have not loaded it yet. too busy!

    kosh, Jan 12, 2006
  12. I've been using a second hand 16MB Matrox G450 dualhead for a couple
    years now, first with win98, now with Linux. Perfect for photo editing.
    I'll never go back to single screen. Games are another matter of course.
    An older Matrox wouldn't be the best choice if game playing is important.

    Dualhead works especially well with the Gimp, with the image displayed
    on one screen, the menues on the other. I suppose other editors are similar.

    Angus

    angusinalberta, Jan 12, 2006