    Does anyone know where I can get one? New or used is ok.

    Thanks

    Rohit

    Roy Amin, Oct 11, 2005

  2. What's worked for me in the past is to unjacket a length of Cat5e cable
    and "flatten" the four twisted-pairs to fit under a door jamb by
    positioning them side by side then taping them down. It's not the most
    elegant solution but it works, at least up to 100baseT speeds. Don't
    know if it would work for gigabit Ethernet though.

    Robert Sneddon, Oct 12, 2005

  3. Roy Amin

    Roy Amin Guest

    Thanks Robert. I will do that if I am unable to locate the flat cable ready
    made up to use..

    I can get a flat ethernet cable only (without the RJ45s) but they are sold
    in lengths of 100m only! and I only need 10m. Also, I have never ha any
    experience of how to make up the cables.

    Thanks
    Rohit

    Roy Amin, Oct 12, 2005
  4. Roy Amin

    Ian Snowdon Guest

    If it is flat then it isn't Cat 5, never mind anything higher, as it
    won't have the twists. You used to be able to get flat UTP patch cables
    but they were Cat 3 (I think), we used to use them for patching
    telephones through but have since chucked them all out.

    Ian Snowdon, Oct 12, 2005
  5. Roy Amin

    Roy Amin Guest

    Would it be ok for 100 Mbit connection? No other cables next to it.

    Thanks
    Rohit

    Roy Amin, Oct 12, 2005
  6. Roy Amin

    Rob Morley Guest

    I'd have thought you could make a flattish cable by keeping the pairs
    twisted but arranging them side by side rather than in a bunch.

    Rob Morley, Oct 12, 2005
  7. It consists of four twisted-pairs lying side-by-side in a flat jacket.
    The stuff I've seen is a bit more than 2mm thick but as much as 6mm
    thick, the diameter of regular Cat5e.

    Robert Sneddon, Oct 12, 2005
  8. Flat cable will not be twisted pair, so won't work reliably (if at all.)

    Mike Tomlinson, Oct 13, 2005
  9. No.

    Mike Tomlinson, Oct 13, 2005
  10. Roy Amin

    thoss Guest

    There used to be ribbon cable consisting of side-by-side arrays of
    twisted pairs. Don't know if it's still available.

    thoss, Oct 13, 2005
  11.
    Robert Sneddon, Oct 13, 2005
  12. Roy Amin

    Roy Amin Guest

    I am a novice to networking so can someone please point me in the right
    direction.

    What is the physics behind the requirement for twists?

    Thanks

    Roy Amin, Oct 13, 2005
  13. Roy Amin

    Mad Ad Guest

    reduces EMI and crosstalk

    Ad

    Mad Ad, Oct 13, 2005
  14. I'll take this to email if that's OK?

    Robert Sneddon, Oct 13, 2005
  15. Roy Amin

    Lurch Guest

    What's wrong with here?

    Lurch, Oct 13, 2005
  16. Roy Amin

    Chronos Guest

    After replacing Lurch with a small shell script on Thursday 13 Oct 2005
    17:37, the following appeared on stdout:
    Barkerbait...

    Chronos, Oct 13, 2005
  17. I've been reading this thread in the adverts group, not the networking
    ggroup. It's not really right for uk.adverts.computer.

    Robert Sneddon, Oct 13, 2005
  18. Roy Amin

    Peter M Guest

    then you'd only have needed to follow-up in u.c.h-n instead of both, and
    subscribe (temporarily) to u.c.h-n. (cross-posted so you see it :) PGM

    Peter M, Oct 24, 2005