    stations.

    Thanks

    --

    Ryan Jacobs, Mar 7, 2005

  2. Ryan Jacobs

    thing Guest

    For what model Toshiba?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Mar 7, 2005

  3. Ryan Jacobs

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    The Toshiba spares I have are for the Tecra 8000. I don't know if they
    are usable with other models, though.

    And, of course, the Tecra 8000 is an anceint model, so they are
    probably worth piss-all :)

    Does this mean you have one of the Compaq docking stations? (me thinks
    hopefully)

    Ryan Jacobs, Mar 7, 2005
  4. Ryan Jacobs

    thing Guest

    No, BUT I do have a tecra 8000 and I'd like a docking station for it....

    It might be old but its OK for me on Linux, does all I want.

    So if the docking station is worth p*ss all can I take it off your hands?

    what other spares?

    :D

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Mar 7, 2005
  5. Ryan Jacobs

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    Indeed, the Tecra 8000 is old, but is still a good machine. I still
    have one in use.
    Well, for a small fee. How does $20 sound?

    Various, including: floppy modules, cd-rom modules, external case for
    floppy, RAM (32MB & 3x 64MB), power supplies.

    I also have 2 spare Tecra's (minus HDD though). Both work ok, eccept
    the batteries have long since died.

    I see from the headers that you're in Wellington, so the cost of
    freight may be prohibitive. Although, I usually travel down there
    every 2 or 3 months - so if you want a docking station (or other
    spares), maybe we could arrange something?

    Ryan Jacobs, Mar 8, 2005
  6. Ryan Jacobs

    thing Guest

    Docking station, you have a deal, I am in no hurry for it so meeting up
    sounds like a plan.

    I got a new battery last year at $325....I was gob smacked but its
    proved worth it, though next time I will just buy a new laptop.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Mar 8, 2005
  7. Ryan Jacobs

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    Ok. I'm not sure when I will be next down in Wellington, so lets play
    it by ear. When I have a better idea of my schedule, we should
    probable swap email addys or phone nos, or something. :)

    Ryan Jacobs, Mar 8, 2005
  8. Ryan Jacobs

    Don Hills Guest

    Ahem. If I may interrupt....

    Sorry, I don't have a Compaq docking station.

    However, I do have a Toshiba Tecra 8000.
    It's complete with Toshiba bag, power supply and cable, mouse, external
    floppy and... docking station.

    There's only one slight problem, it doesn't go - common Toshiba failure,
    won't power up, flashes error code indicating bad system board.
    The memory backup and clock batteries have also gone to "NiCd heaven" -
    another common Toshiba failure.
    It appears to charge the main battery (lights indicate charging and,
    some time later, full charge), so the main (Li-ion) battery may be OK.
    Mechanically, it's in good condition (no case cracks, unworn keyboard etc).

    I was going to put it on Trademe as suitable for spare parts, with a $40
    reserve. Any interest here before I do that? You can email me if you want
    pictures, or you can view it if you're in Wellington.

    Don Hills, Mar 8, 2005
  9. Ryan Jacobs

    thing Guest

    OK, I have bid for one on trademe for $1, so lets see how that
    goes..........

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Mar 8, 2005
  10. Ryan Jacobs

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    /me logs onto trade me & puts in a few phantom bids........

    Nah, just kidding :)

    Good luck, as a recent convert to trade me, I've picked a few
    bargains. So, may the bargain be with you :)

    Ryan Jacobs, Mar 9, 2005
  11. Ryan Jacobs

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    (Don Hills) provided this moment of wisdom....

    HDD working or dead? And how much memory has it got?

    Ryan Jacobs, Mar 9, 2005
  12. Ryan Jacobs

    Don Hills Guest

    HDD is 4 GB, condition unknown - the machine won't power up. I don't have
    another Toshiba to try it in, and my other laptops are Thinkpads. (The
    Toshiba came as a job lot with a Thinkpad I was after.) Both the Toshiba
    and my Thinkpads use "cased" drives, so I'd have to strip the drive out of
    the casing, strip a Thinkpad casing, swap the drives, test it, then reverse
    the procedure afterwards.

    It has 2x 32 MB SODIMMs.

    Don Hills, Mar 9, 2005
  13. Ryan Jacobs

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    (Don Hills) provided this moment of wisdom....
    Arggh, I was hoping that between yours & mine - I could salvage a
    usable lappy (for resale). My biggest need is a HDD to make a saleable
    lappy.

    Go for trade me - someone might be interested. If it doesn't sell, let
    me know, 'cause I'd be willing to take a gamble on an unknown HDD.
    And, if your carry case is in good knick - that alone should get you a
    minimum of $20-$30.

    As I said elsewhere in this thread, I travel down to Wellington every
    2 or 3 months - so if trade me doesn't get you anything - let me know
    - we may be able to do a deal :)

    Ryan Jacobs, Mar 10, 2005
  14. Ryan Jacobs

    Don Hills Guest

    I'll be happy to test it as outlined before,
    The bag is in good nick, and Toshiba branded, but not leather.
    I may as well part it out, test the parts and put them on Trademe.
    The money would be useful, it's the time to do it I'm short of.

    Don Hills, Mar 10, 2005