WS_FTP pro help please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Orrett, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    Hi all, I'm trying to change a couple of things on a mate's website for
    him. Normally I would open up the web page, click on 'File' and then 'edit
    with Microsoft Frontpage'. This option is greyed out so his hosting company
    said to download the web onto my local drive and amend it and upload it from
    here.
    I don't use FTP but installed WS_FTP Pro, put in his website address
    and his user name and password and clicked the connect button.
    All the files are now saved in the local folder on the left hand pane
    with the web files showing on the right. If I double click on the index.htm
    file in the local folder it will open up in Internet Explorer. I can then
    amend it with
    FrontPage and save the changes. I still do not have a 'publish web' option
    from here.
    What I can't seem to do is transfer the amended file in the left pane
    across to the right pane and upload it back to his site. If I try, when I
    look
    on his web page then either I get a 'this page cannot be displayed' page, or
    the old one still appears. I then deleted the index.htm from the 'server'
    version
    to copy my left hand pane 'local version' across, but after I did this, all
    I get is
    'this page cannot be displayed'. I now cannot get his site up and running
    again!
    Any help appreciated.
    TIA
    John

    John Orrett, Nov 24, 2003

  2. John Orrett

    °Mike° Guest

    Did you set the transfer mode to text (or auto)?

    °Mike°, Nov 25, 2003

  3. I hope you have a very large drive.

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 25, 2003
  4. John Orrett

    D.Thompson Guest

    Couple of things...

    Often times the index (or home page) has to have a .html file extension, as
    opposed to the .htm that is assigned automatically by MS Front Page-and it's
    really easy to miss that missing "l"

    Another is to make certain that you are transferring to the correct folder
    on the web server. It's really easy to get turned around in FTP.

    D.Thompson, Nov 25, 2003
  5. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    LOL. Oops, but you know what I mean !
    Cheers
    john

    John Orrett, Nov 25, 2003
  6. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    Hi Mike, the transfer mode (presume you mean the button between the left and
    right panes) is on 'Auto'
    Thanks
    John

    John Orrett, Nov 25, 2003
  7. John Orrett

    John Orrett Guest

    Hi there; when I d/l the web site onto my PC, the file was called index.htm.
    When I saved it to my local folder and amended it, I kept the file extension
    the same.

    As you mentioned on transferring to the web server, if I drag the index.htm
    from the local pane to the web pane, when I click and try to open it and get
    the page cannot be displayed error, the path in the bar shows my local drive
    and not the web site address.
    Thanks for your help,
    Regards
    John