    as the modem. 29mbps down with 2.5mbps up. Why is the WRT54G cutting the
    bandwidth in half? I read the back of the manual "Troubleshooting" there
    is nothing dealing with bandwidth loss. Thanks for any help you can give.

    BJ, Mar 17, 2010

  2. BJ

    Bob K Guest

    I'm not familiar with the WRT54G -- but one thought that comes to mind
    is the MTU setting.

    I know on my Netgear routers setting this wrong can cut down the
    throughput. I assume your router has a similar configuration setting.

    ....Bob

    Bob K, Mar 17, 2010

  3. BJ

    Char Jackson Guest

    I've seen a chart somewhere that shows the WAN-to-LAN throughput of a
    few dozen popular routers, but I can't find it now. I know that Jeff
    Liebermann, who hangs out in alt.internet.wireless, knows how to find
    it, in case you want to ask there. It's a wild guess, but I'm sort of
    thinking you're bumping up against the throughput limit of that
    particular hardware model.

    Char Jackson, Mar 17, 2010
  4. BJ

    Char Jackson Guest

    Disregard my last post, I'm clearly out of my mind. Here's the chart I
    was looking for. The WRT54G v1 was rated for about 20 Mbps (WAN->LAN)
    so yours should do even better, I would think.
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index.php?option=com_chart&Itemid=167

    Char Jackson, Mar 17, 2010
  5. BJ

    BJ Guest

    Thanks for the link, I'll study that. I think now maybe the MTU is a
    problem but I never messed with that setting. The modem WRT54G V3.1 is
    suppose to do 54mbps that is printed on the modem. Thank you guys for
    all the help.

    BJ, Mar 17, 2010
  6. BJ

    Bob K Guest

    If you have a router that is performing OK -- you can look at the MTU it
    has, and try that. I think probably 1500 is the max you should be
    using, but with some services you might need something less -- 1492, or
    such.

    At the speeds you are operating at, I am not sure just what you get into.

    There should be some help on the web at how to determine the best settings.

    ....Bob

    Bob K, Mar 17, 2010
  7. BJ

    Bob K Guest

    Here is one site that might help:
    http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml

    ....Bob

    Bob K, Mar 17, 2010
  8. BJ

    Char Jackson Guest

    Don't be fooled by that claim of 54 Mbps. That refers to the 802.11g
    wireless standard. The best you'll see across the wireless interface
    is about half of that, or 24-27 Mbps. The other 802.11 wireless
    standards (A/B) are also like that, where the actual throughput is
    about half of the 'connection' speed. The '54 Mbps' claim has no
    relation to router throughput.

    Char Jackson, Mar 17, 2010
  9. BJ

    BJ Guest

    I think you may be right on that. I have spent the last several hours
    tweaking all the settings I can, including MTU and I can not get any
    faster than 15mbps. No matter what I set. I can set the MTU to 1492 and
    then it drops to 10mbps. I set MTU at 1500 and it goes to 15mbps. I set
    it at auto and still 15mbps. Then I plug my cable modem straight into
    the computer and I get 29mbps. I think it's time for a new router.
    Thanks again for all the help.

    BJ, Mar 17, 2010
  10. BJ

    Kerry Liles Guest

    BUT the OP mentioned that he is not using the wireless aspect of the router.
    Was that correct? Are you confirming that you can only get 15mbps even with
    a wired connection through the router?

    Kerry Liles, Mar 17, 2010
  11. BJ

    BJ Guest

    Yes all I can get is 15mbps with the wired. I don't use the wireless on
    this router. I never have used the wireless.

    BJ, Mar 17, 2010
  12. BJ

    Char Jackson Guest

    I was just pointing out that the "54" that's printed on the router
    itself is a reference to the wireless G standard and has nothing to do
    with claimed throughput. I'm aware that the OP is using a wired
    connection.

    Char Jackson, Mar 17, 2010
  13. BJ

    Kerry Liles Guest

    ....snip
    Well, that IS depressing I suppose but perhaps others can confirm that it is
    the way it is...
    I do not run DD-WRT ... Perhaps the problem lies with DD-WRT rather than the
    router itself?

    Kerry Liles, Mar 17, 2010
  14. BJ

    Kerry Liles Guest

    Ah, ok. I see.
    I wasn't implying anything else <g>
    just clarifying so we are all on the same wavelength...

    Kerry Liles, Mar 17, 2010
  15. BJ

    BJ Guest

    I think you may be right again. The DD-WRT may have some sort of limit I
    have not found yet. My old router, DI-624 D-Link does not have DD-WRT on
    it and it works fine. I don't know if I can go back to the Linksys
    frimware or if I am stuck with the DD-WRT. i will check that out before
    I buy another router. Thanks guys.

    BJ, Mar 17, 2010
  16. BJ

    BJ Guest

    I downloaded the latest firmware from Linksys and replaced the DD-WRT
    firmware. I set MTU 1500 and now I get 28mbps down and 2.2mbps up
    through the router. It was the firmware from DD-WRT. I'll never use that
    firmware again. Thanks for all the help guys.

    BJ, Mar 17, 2010
  17. BJ

    Char Jackson Guest

    It might have been a number of things, but I don't think it's dd-wrt
    in general. I run dd-wrt on 6 Linksys routers here (5 GL's and a V4)
    and haven't seen the issue that you described. I routinely see
    throughput upwards of 32 Mbps, the upper limit of my Internet
    connection.

    The bottom line, though, is that you're up, running, and happy. :)

    Char Jackson, Mar 17, 2010
  18. BJ

    Char Jackson Guest

    It's all good, thanks. :)

    Char Jackson, Mar 17, 2010
  19. BJ

    Kerry Liles Guest

    Cool. As Char Jackson replied in this thread already, it might be a setting
    in DD-WRT of course, rather than a fundamental problem with it, but at least
    you know how to get around it... I had a similar experience with Tomato
    firmware on a different Linksys model and also ran out of patience (and
    managed to brick the Linksys too! haha).

    Kerry Liles, Mar 18, 2010
  20. BJ

    BJ Guest

    Glad to know about the tomato, I was kind of thinking about installing
    that but I don't think so now. Thanks for the info.

    BJ, Mar 18, 2010